Day 31

The heavy rain from yesterday continued, so we spent the day inside the cave.

The day went as usual. After the morning practice was over, I equipped the Black Wolf Armor that I made yesterday and the halberd, which I still haven't tried using in a real battle, before facing a fully equipped Gobukichi in a somewhat serious practice battle.

My new armor consisted of flexible black leather pants and a long black leather coat. On my left hand I was equipped with a solid wrought-iron gauntlet, and on my right hand I used the carapace reinforced, and in lots of different ways improved, round shield. I didn't have anything covering my head, and on my feet I had a pair of sturdy looking boots that the older Goblins brought back from the adventurers.

Since my skin was also black, this equipment made me almost invisible during the night.

Gobukichi's equipment was replaced with various items we got during the Orc raid.

His main weapon was a [Crescent Axe] that burned from having a [Flame Blade] made by embedding a battle-axe that I discovered, with Fire Spirit Stones. His buckler was a black iron tower shield made from a carapace-reinforced round shield, which had high defensive strength because of how heavy it was, that was strengthened through magic.

His armor was based on what the Orc Leader was using. Using my thread to bind it together, it was now reinforced by pieces of carapace and black wolf leather, which raised the defensive power and mobility.

Looking almost like a moving fortress, his armor coupled with his body that was amplified by his vanguard specialization, resulted in combat ability that was not something to joke about.

Truly, Gobukichi had become strong.

I can sense it during his normal training as well, but facing him fully armed truly makes me understand how much he has improved.

Basically, I, who had strengthened myself by having a variety of abilities, confusing my opponents through the use of various techniques, and winning using methods of striking my opponents from behind, was bad in a situation like this where I had to fight head-to-head without an ability against a genuinely strong opponent like Gobukichi.

He's still an opponent I can win against with my abilities, but having my halberd with the force of my whole body behind it being almost perfectly blocked by his tower shield is, as expected, still kind of shocking. Each and every one of his blows is also extremely heavy, but above all his dexterous handling of his axe is worthy of admiration.

It seems like he knew from experience how to swing an axe sharper, faster, and heavier.

Well, the weapons he has used from the first hunt till now have always been similar, from cudgel → axe → axe which was probably the reason.

In our Goblin village the one who handles axes the best is without question Gobukichi.

Also, his burning [Crescent Axe] was more trouble than I thought it would be. I've got the ability [Fire Resistance], so I didn't get injured by his [Crescent Axe]'s [Flame Blades].

However, resistance is resistance and hot things are hot. Because of the blazing flame my vision was impaired and when the handle of my halberd got searingly hot from the long exposure to his flame, I excused myself.

Continuing like this, we spent quite a long time staging mock battles.

I spent some time manufacturing clothes, picked up the mined "Spirit Stones", ate the food the Sisters prepared then went to sleep.

And then when everyone had gone to sleep, that event happened.

Eight bodies were moving towards the place where the five human women were sleeping, and my 【Sense Presence】 ability caught that movement.