Chapter 3

We walked into Midtown the next day and you could tell that there were smart kids in this place

We walked into Midtown the next day and you could tell that there were smart kids in this place. You had to dodge drones to get to your locker. Once we did get to our lockers, which were thankfully next to each other, the two boys next to us started talking about a Lego Death Star. "Dude, I would love to build the Death Star, but I have the Stark Internship after school." I closed my locker and turned to Carter. "When did Stark start to do internships?" She shrugged and closed her locker. "I don't know. That doesn't seem like something- wait. Are we part of one of those?" I shook my head. "No, he would have told us if we were." We walked into English and everyone looked at us like we were aliens. "Are two Parker and Carter?" We nodded and the teacher told us to sit in the back. We sat down and the kid we sat next to was one of the boys from our locker. "Hi, I'm Ned. I'm guessing you guys are new?" Carter nodded. "Yeah. We're from Albany's Academic school for Gifted Children." Ned looked at her confused and I rolled my eyes. "What she's trying to say is, we transferred from one smart school to another." He nodded. "I'm Parker by the way, Parker Nite. And this is my cousin Carter Day."

We talked to Ned, as we got partnered up for a project, and it turns out he's a really cool dude. We made it through World History and Study Hall with Ned before he had to go to another class. So we entered math knowing no one. The teacher told us to sit in the back and to just pay attention because, and I quote, "you may not know the unit". She went on with the lesson and it was the easiest lessons I've learned. The last question she asked for the day no one knew the answer, except me. I raised my hand and she called on me. "The answers 63.259." She looked at me shocked but said I was correct. "How did you find the answer so fast?" I shrugged. "I took Calculus 3 at my old school." One kid in the class, I think his name is Flash, turned around. "You know calculus?" I nodded and he looked impressed. I turned to Carter and she gave me fist bump. The kid in front of me turned around and I quickly recognized him, Stark Internship kid. I smiled at him and he smiled back before turning back around.

Lunch finally came and when we entered the cafeteria, Ned saw us and called us over to his table. "Hey guys, how was math?" I shrugged. "It wasn't that bad." Carter and I sat down at the table and Ned looked at us confused. "Why are you sitting here? I mean, there are so many tables to sit at and so many people that would probably want you to sit with them." Carter looked at him shocked. "Ned, why would you think that?" He shrugged. "Well, everyone thinks that my friend and I are losers so I figured you guys had heard that." I shook my head. "Ned, we'd never think that you or your friend are losers. We're sitting with you because you've been the only genuinely nice and sweet person we've met all day. That's why we are sitting with you." Carter nodded in agreement and Ned smiled. "Thanks a lot guys. That means a lot." Ned looked up and waved at someone. "Hey, Peter. This is Parker and Carter. They're new here." I turned around and saw Internship kid walking towards us. He waved and sat down next to Ned. Internship kid and Ned started talking about the girl hanging the homecoming banner when my phone went off.

Carter: Peter is kinda cute

I turned to her and she giggled. I rolled my eyes and she texted me again.

Carter: I'm just saying. No need to get mad

Parker: You just want me to get with Peter so you can get with Ned

Carter hit my arm and scolded me. "Never say that again." I rolled my eyes. "Well, don't imply something like that." She rolled her eyes and we started to eat our lunch. Let's just hope the rest of the day goes smoothly.