Chapter 11

Today is the day of the decathlon and Peter is nowhere to be found

Today is the day of the decathlon and Peter is nowhere to be found. Flash has never been more excited but I'm more worried about Peter being MIA and everyone just seems ok with it. Does this happen a lot here? If so, that needs to be stopped. As I was heading to turn in my phone, it rang and I don't think I've ever been more relieved. "Parker! Where's Ned?" I looked around. "He's already in there, where you should be Peter!" He groaned in what I think was frustration. "I need you to have him call me as soon as it's done." I nodded. "Ok, but where are you? Everyone is worried about you." Before I could hear his answer, his phone cut out and I groaned. God Peter, where are you? "Parker, turn in your phone so we can go in." I nodded and handed the lady my phone. I followed Carter and Mr. Harrington into the room and watched the decathlon. After what felt like forever, Michelle answered the final question correctly and we won. We celebrated and now Flash carries the trophy around with him. Which I find very creepy but I guess that could just be me.

We were waiting in line at security at the Washington Monument when I was finally able to talk to Ned. "Hey, so Peter called me back at the decathlon and he wants you to call him." He nodded and his phone rang. "Peter? Where are you?" I walked away and joined the rest in the elevator after getting through security. "You ready to do this, Parker?" I shrugged. "Ready as I'll ever be." The elevator ride was alright but the tour guide was the most monotone person ever. That lady needs some excitement in her life or something. The elevator stopped and Carter grabbed my arm. "Parker, what's happening?" I shook my head. "I don't know Carter." Everyone started freaking out and the tour guide kept telling us that the safety precautions were working. Which, unlike everyone else, I could tell was a total lie. People opened the escape door and the team started to climb out. "Carter, go."

"I was going to anyways." Carter climbed out and the elevator started to fall. "Parker!" I looked up and saw Carter get further away. Liz grabbed onto me and I grabbed onto the railing. We came to an abrupt stop and I looked up to see Spiderman. He started to pull us up and Ned started jumping around. "Ned, stop jumping!" Spiderman pulled us back to the door and Ned and Mr. Harrington got out. "Liz, we gotta go." She shook her head. "I'll be right behind you. You'll be ok, I promise." She let me go and walked towards the door with me behind her. Before we could get out, the web snapped and we fell again. Liz grabbed onto me and started to scream. I was about to use my powers to get us back up but stopped when webbing attached to us. He pulled us up and Carter pulled me into a hug. "Are you ok?" I nodded and pulled away. "Yeah, yeah. I'm fine." I turned around and saw Spiderman looking at Liz and I. Before I could say anything, He fell down the elevator shaft.

The bus ride home was extremely quiet. I think everyone was still scared by the whole elevator thing. I rested my head on the window and closed my eyes. I must have fallen asleep because I woke up when I was shaken gently. I looked up and saw Peter standing there with his hands in his pockets. "We're at the school now." I nodded and he got off the bus. I woke up Carter and we got off the bus. As we started to walk away, I saw everyone with their parents and I got jealous. I can't have the comfort of my parents anymore. I didn't get to have one more hug with them before they died. And as much I wish I could have that hug, I can't. And there's nothing I can do but move on.

Before we could leave the parking lot, Peter's aunt ran over to us. "Are you girls alright? Peter was worried that something was wrong because you guys didn't go to your parents." We nodded. "Yeah, we're ok. My parents are out of town so they can't be here." Her face changed from worried to sad after hearing what Carter said and she pulled us into a hug. I hugged her back and when she let us go, I looked up at Peter. He was looking at the three of us with concern until he noticed me looking at him. I motioned for him to come over while his aunt and Carter were talking. "Thank you, Peter." He nodded. "I know what it's like. And she gives the best hugs." We laughed and Peter's aunt pulled all of us into a hug.

"I'm glad you guys are alright. I don't know what I'd do if any of you got hurt."