Chapter 10

Today is the day we leave for the decathlon and Carter and I were standing with the rest of the team

Today is the day we leave for the decathlon and Carter and I were standing with the rest of the team. I'm not quite sure why they need us through. Mr. Harrington said it's just in case they magically need more smart people. I don't really believe it but as my aunt says, it gets me out of the house. I was scrolling through Instagram when I got hit on the arm. "Ow! What do you want Carter?" She pointed at Peter running towards us. "I thought he quit. Why's he back?" I shrugged. "Who knows Carter. Who knows." Flash started going off on Peter for coming back when Mr. Harrington welcomed him back. I patted Flash on the back while Carter held back a laugh. "Welcome to the replacements, buddy." He shrugged my hand off and got on the bus. Carter high-fived me and I looked over at Peter. There's a reason he's here, but I'm not sure what.

On the way to D.C, Liz was quizzing the main people who will be in the decathlon, leaving Carter and I bored out of our minds. I sat in a seat with my head against the window and feet across the seat reading a book while Carter sat in the seat in front of me, watching something on her phone. I felt something brush against my feet and I looked up to see Peter walking by on the phone. I shrugged and went back to reading. Not long after Peter walked back to his seat, my phone rang. I pulled it out of my bag and rolled my eyes at who it was. "What do you need Happy?" He took a deep breath. "Why are you going to D.C?" I flipped the page in my book. "School trip? Why? What's up?" He sighed. "Just checking. Tony said to watch you guys and that's what I'm going to do." I nodded. "Ok, well I gotta go. Bye Happy." He said bye and hung up. I sighed and went back to my book. Honestly, This day just keeps getting weirder each second.

We arrived at the hospital and went into our rooms. I set my stuff down and laid on the bed. Before I could fall asleep though, Carter chucked a pillow at me. "Parker, I don't want to spend the rest of the day in this room." I rolled towards her. "Then go and talk to someone in another room." She groaned and flopped down on her bed. Then she got up and flopped on top of me. "Do you want to sneak out?" Carter and I walked around the hotel then went on a little walk outside. We walked around for a little bit before heading back so we won't get caught. By the time we got back, it was time to go to bed. Which wasn't the case as the team was running down the hallway in their swimwear, heading to the pool. "We gotta hurry up because I wanna go with them." I nodded. "Yeah, me too." As we were quietly running back to our room to change, I saw Liz talking to Peter.

After she left, Peter looked up and saw Carter and I running down the hallway. He looked at us confused and I pointed at Liz then back at him. I gave him a thumbs up and his face went red with embarrassment. He recovered and rolled his eyes at me, causing me to laugh. He left and Carter pulled me into our room. I have to say, I'm impressed. I guess he did listen to me the other day and he's now paying more attention to her than me. Good for him.