Chapter 12

Everyone was back to themselves the next week at school and I was thankful

Everyone was back to themselves the next week at school and I was thankful. There was no more attention on me for almost dying again which was great. Liz was still a little shaken up about the whole thing but she was ok. I finally told my aunt and uncle about the explosion at Delmar's when they called to ask if we were ok after the accident at the Washington Monument. Which, they weren't happy that they just found out about it but they were happy I was alright and severely hurt. Currently, I'm sitting at the kitchen island doing my science project with Peter Parker. Doing this project would be 100% easier if I had Carter as my partner because Peter is constantly paranoid, but she got partnered with Ned. Every so often, I would see Peter look out the window or at the clock. I looked at his paper and saw that he had nothing written on it. How can this boy be so smart yet so unproductive.

After 20 minutes of Peter being paranoid, I decided to take things into my own hands. "Calm down, Peter. I think crime can wait long enough to let us get at least an A on this project." He turned and looked at me shocked. I laughed quietly and went back to work. "How- what- huh?" I smirked. "You seriously didn't think I'd realize that you're Spiderman? Even after the times you came by and talked to me? And the accident at the Washington Monument? I'm honestly surprised Carter, or anyone really, hasn't found out yet because it's so obvious." Peter continued to look at me confused and shocked. "Don't worry Peter, I know how to keep a secret." I held up my hand and let it catch on fire. His eyes went wide as he looked at my hand. "So, you're the fire girl?" I nodded and the flames disappeared. I closed my textbook and clasped my hands together. "Now, how are we going to stop this vulture guy?"

He closed his textbook and pushed it aside. "Well, the vulture guy is the man producing the weapons. So you catch him in the act, you stop him from selling them. Which shouldn't be that hard, you just gotta find him. But, I have no clue where he is." I nodded. "Ok, I'll help you. If we stop this guy, our jobs won't be that hard." He shook his head. "No. No, no, no. I'm not letting you get involved. Something could go wrong and-" I cut him off. "I've survived a hospital explosion and the thing at Delmar's. I think I'll be fine with a dude with wings." He sighed and looked away to, what looked like, think about the idea of me helping him. After a few minutes, he looked back at me. "Fine, we'll catch him together. But if something goes wrong, you get out." I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, sure. Fine. Deal?" He nodded and shook my hand. "Deal." I smiled and closed my notebook. "Why do I feel like I'm going to regret this?" I shook my head. "It's only because we're two kids with one job. You've gotta embrace the unexpected!"

He laughed and started to tell me what he knows, which wasn't a lot by the way. "I hope we draw the attention of the FBI by doing this." He stopped pointing at my computer screen and looked at me shocked. "Are you insane?" I shrugged. "I've never seen anyone kick a door in before. It looks exciting!" He shook his head and pinched the bridge of his nose. "I think I'm starting to regret agreeing to this."