Rhythm of the River

Something prickled in Scythe's ear- a sound. She moved her long, perfect black braid out of her way and and concentrated. Was that sound... water?

Octavia gasped and that's when they saw it.

Water. More water than Scythe had ever seen in her life. There was a moment of anger knowing this much water existed while she had been delegated so little of it but she quenched it. It would do no good.

"A river," Clarke breathed.

River. Scythe turned the new word around in her mind.

As they grew closer Scythe marveled at it. A huge, gushing river that was so loud it drowned out the noises of the trees as it stretched proudly across the land. The water was clear and bright, throwing sparking jewels into the sun as the waves splashed playfully into one another. It almost seemed to be laughing.

The roaring of the waves drowned out all of her negative thoughts and she liked the white noise that was much more natural then the ever-present machine hum in the Ark. 

Scythe turned to see Octavia stripping off her shirt. Noting her quirked eyebrow, the brunette simply said, "I'm going swimming."

"You understand you can't swim, right?" Scythe asked her friend, knowing that it wouldn't matter that she warned her.

Octavia did what Octavia wanted.

She smiled at Scythe before wading in, the water rippling like glass around her, "But we can stand."

Everyone rushed to take off their shirts as well except for Scythe and Clarke. Scythe wouldn't go into the water- she would stand watch.

She looked out at the rushing river and at Octavia happily splashing around. The air around her tasted so full- so fresh that she breathed deeply to try and soak it all in. This place was so different from her cell and she loved it.

Though she felt foolish, Scythe knelt down and picked up a handful of dirt and stones. Even the feeling of the Ground was different. She could feel the cold stones that were slightly damp from the river water, a strange, fuzzy, green plant splashed across one side like someone had spilled it. Her cell only had the smoothness of metal, but these rocks were jagged and porous and coated with soft dirt.

Her senses were overloaded and she couldn't stop a secret little smile from blossoming on her face.

Clarke peered at the map, "Wait, there's not supposed to be a river here."

Finn smirked, "Well there is so-"

That's when Jasper choked out, "Oh... Octavia get out of the water."

The smile fell from her face instantly.

The fear in his voice spurred her into motion and Scythe joined him immediately at the edge of the river and saw what he warned about. Something big and snakelike was jetting like a torpedo through the clear, glassy water- straight for Octavia. An animal.

It was an actual animal.

"Tav, get out of the water!" Scythe ordered over the roar of the river, already pulling her black jacket off. 

Suddenly Octavia's thrashing form was dragged under the water screaming, "Help!"

No.

"Octavia!" Clarke shouted.

Scythe's mind was razor sharp. She didn't hesitate before she grabbed the stolen knife from her boot and ripped them off, seconds away from jumping into the water before Clarke stopped her incredulously, "What are you doing? Look if we distract it-"