Tortured Souls

Instead of going back to her tent, Scythe decided to see what she could do to help around the camp. There was no way she was going to be able to sleep. Not after Charlotte.

Scythe slammed down on the feelings threatening to consume her, crushing them under her will. She would not cry. Crying interrupted her ability to think clearly.

She looked around the camp, a glimmer of pride in her chest. Things were smoothing out and the campers seemed to move in harmony. Even at this hour delinquents were rushing around, either on patrols or working on the wall. Still, most people just gathered around the campfires to talk.

Scythe was helping somebody with their tent when the delinquents started shouting. All around the campfire people were hollering and pointing at the sky. Someone shouted for Bellamy and Scythe watched him come out of his tent shirtless.

Her attention was snatched away from him before she could fully appreciate his toned stomach. Something was falling out of the sky.

A pod.

No.

No the Ark couldn't come down. Not right now, when everything was finally falling into place. Not while Charlotte was still fresh on her mind.

"They're coming down to help us!"

"Now we can beat the Grounders!"

"Please tell me they brought down some shampoo."

Scythe turned to the girl who said that, giving her an appraising look so unlike her normal expression. The girl's face turned white and the expression was wiped off Scythe's face. People were still terrified of her.

Oh well. She didn't need anyone but herself.

She walked over to Bellamy, trying to ignore his lack of shirt, and asked, "What are you planning on doing?"

He didn't answer, only looked up at the pod and swallowed.

Scythe followed him to the main tent where they were joined by three other of his friends. They talked amongst themselves, Bellamy staying unnaturally silent. Soon Octavia came into the tent saying, "We should get moving, everyone's ready."

Bellamy shook his head, "No one's going anywhere. Not while it's dark, it's not safe," he thought for a moment, "We head out at first light. Pass the word."

That was a horrible plan.

The three boys left and Scythe tried to get Bellamy to rethink his decision, "Everyone for a hundred miles saw this thing come down, what if the Grounders get to it first?"

Octavia nodded, "Bell, we should go now."

His jaw clenched, "I said we wait until sunrise."

If they waited until sunrise, the Grounders could get to it first. As much as the campers liked to believe they could be self sufficient, truth was they could use any supplies that they could get their hands on.

Scythe shook her head, "This isn't smart, we need to find-"

Bellamy whipped around, eyes narrowing in anger, roaring, "You take orders from me, Scythe!"

Silence.

Scythe put her mask of indifference back on and stepped back. She smothered the hurt and set her emotions aside. It was a mistake to grow comfortable around Bellamy.

It was a mistake she would not make again.

Bellamy reached for her, guilt marring his features, setting his mouth into a grim slash, "Scythe..."