Baiting a Monster

"He's a Reaper," Octavia's eyes were wide and her hand covered her mouth the smother the sound of her panicked gasp, "How is that even possible? He just looked right through me. How can that-"

They had thrown themselves into the nearest vehicle they could find. The window was dirty and it was so dark Skye felt the vehicle closing in on her as she processed the information that Lincoln had turned into a monster in the dark.

"Shh," Bellamy hushed her as they heard Lincoln's growling from outside.

Octavia reached for Skye's hand and squeezed, "Can he see us?"

"I don't know," Skye breathed out in a voice lower than a whisper.

Out of everything she'd seen on the Ground she was the most terrified of the Reapers. Of their animalistic rage. And she was terrified of this suffocating darkness.

Octavia was falling apart, her breaths coming in uneven gasps and her brother tried to soothe her, "Hey, we'll get him back okay? I promise."

Skye was breaking for an entirely different reason.

"How are we going to do that?" Her friend asked.

Bellamy furrowed his brow, "We need to capture him. Find some way to knock him out so he won't fight us."

They could hear his footsteps receding, but their voices stayed low.

"I'll draw him out," Octavia jutted her chin up and looked at them with blazing eyes, "I'll draw him out and you guys take care of him."

"No."

The edge in Skye's cold voice frightened even herself.

Bellamy shook his head, at her response, "It could work. She wouldn't be in any danger."

"I said no."

Her grip on her gun tightened and Octavia looked at her with a baffled expression, "Skye we have to do this."

No.

"I will not let you throw yourself into the dark as bait," Skye snarled, "Not for that monster."

That sentence ignited the fire in her friend's eye, "Lincoln is not a monster."

"That creature is not Lincoln," she bit out, rage blackening her already dark vision, "I'll go instead, but you are staying here."

Bellamy shook his head, "You're better with a gun. I need you to protect Octavia."

Protect Octavia? Protect Octavia?

Her rage was debilitating.

She wheeled on him, "You! You're just going to let the Reaper have her? You're going to let her walk out into the dark alone? What kind of brother are you?!"

Bellamy looked shocked, and a flash of hurt shot through his expression, "I'm not letting her go without protection."

"You're going to protect her from that thing? For sure?" She asked, her voice dripping with condescension, "If you're that strong why don't you go out there and kill it now?"

"Why are you being such a bitch about this, Skye?!" Octavia demanded.

"I am supposed to keep you safe!" She whisper-shouted, "I have made too many damn sacrifices for you to throw yourself at the mercy of this monster."

"He's not a monster!" Octavia roared, "And I never asked you to sacrifice yourself for me! That's on you!"

Skye would strap her to the automobile if she had to. To keep Octavia from being trapped in the dark.