The Honor of Friendship

They came up to a cave and Octavia walked in first calling, "Lincoln?"

The Grounder that had abducted her only a week ago appeared without a word and began examining Octavia's face.

For signs of blood.

Scythe stepped forward, fury in her veins, "You knew."

She couldn't believe it. After everything that he had claimed to do- after he set up a peace meeting because he claimed to believe in peace. After all that he brought his virus into their camp. Oh Scythe was livid.

Lincoln at least had the decency to look unnerved at her as he explained to Octavia, "I tried to get you out, did you not see the flower?"

The flower?

Her people were dying of a fatal, unknown virus sent by his people and the only warning he had given Octavia was a flower?

Octavia scoffed, "I saw it. Right before I saw the kid your people sent to infect us," her attitude suddenly changed and she pleaded, "People are dying Lincoln. Clarke sent us for the cure."

A look at Scythe, "There is no cure."

    Scythe felt like she had been stabbed in the back. She had been kind to Lincoln. She thought they had mutual respect for each other. Scythe didn't give a shit if he had let her die of the virus. Let her die a thousand painful deaths in a row, but do not subject Octavia to that. This omission of Lincoln's could have gotten Octavia killed and Octavia always came first.

   She could feel the molten wrath searing her.

Scythe growled, stepping closer to him, "So what? You were just going to let my people die?" She pointed at his girlfriend, "You were going to let Octavia die?"

She reeled back her fist, jaw clenched and eyes blazing, fully intent on showing Lincoln exactly how Derek had felt before he died. How dare he play with lives?

"Scythe stop," she felt a smooth hand over her fist and turned to see Octavia's scared eyes.

Octavia had finally realized exactly what was Scythe was capable of. What she had done.

Scythe stumbled back, her stone of a heart racing. Octavia was scared of her.

Lincoln said softly, "The sickness passes quickly. Few are immune. We use it to ease the battlefield," his eyes softened at Octavia, "I am not surprised you are one of the strong ones."

Scythe had stiffened, "Battlefield?"

It must have taken every inch of Lincoln's training to keep a neutral face, "They attack at first light."

They. Not we.

"You have to help us save them," Octavia pleaded, brown eyes going wide.

"I can't. I tried, but my people think I'm a traitor now," he shook his head, "It doesn't matter. I'm leaving, Octavia, right now. I want you to leave with me."

Scythe was not hurt he didn't extend the invitation to her. If anything she was hopeful. Lincoln could get her out- he could keep her safe. But could she trust him?

Octavia took a disbelieving step back, "What?"

"We go east of the sea. There are people there that will take us in," his eyes were filled with fear, pleading.

"What about Scythe?" Her friend asked and then shook her head, "I can't just let my family be killed."

    The girl was growing more agitated, "I mean you can't honestly expect me to just walk away when I can help them fight! When I can-"