The Final Choice

Buckle up folks.

Skye realized something was wrong the minute they reached the Grounder camp.

"I count 26," Finn growled as he peered through the scope of his gun.

"I got 28," Murphy corrected, then hesitated, "These people don't look like warriors, Finn."

Skye watched the Grounders mill around peacefully. They still had the brutal style of clothing that mimicked what she had seen Anya and Lincoln wear, but they were not terrifying.

They were just... people.

Her finger was nowhere near the trigger as she watched them through her own scope, "There are children laughing."

The sound enveloped her as she watched a young boy and girl running around a small structure, shrieking with laughter. She watched an older Grounder halfheartedly scold them when they ran into her, an amused gleam in her eye. The children tried and failed to stifle their giggles as they ran away.

The sight stunned Skye.

She could not remember the last time she had seen children truly being children.

And the children were Asian. They looked like Skye did and she was thrown back into the past, wondering if she had ever been as happy as them. Wondering how someone could take a child that small and turn them into a monster.

"There's nothing big enough here to hold our friends," Murphy murmured, scanning the rudimentary structures of the camp before looking uneasily over to Skye.

Finn's growl forced the hair on her arms straight up, "They could be underground. We wait till dark, then we go in."

Skye did a double take hearing his declaration, incredulously shaking her head, "We go in? Finn, we don't even know if our people are here yet."

"They're here," There was nothing but uncompromising will in his voice, "Or they were when that Grounder took Clarke's watch."

Skye lowered her gun, eyes blazing, "Listen to me very carefully," her voice was cold, "We don't know if our friends are here. You are angry and you're afraid, and that is interrupting your ability to think clearly."

Finn's gaze burned her with his severity and even Murphy tensed, "You may be leader at the camp, but I have more to lose here. I will find our friends and I'll do it with or without you."

Fury ignited in her chest as she processed the veiled threat. Her face stayed as stoic and unmoving as stone, but her mind was reeling.

She would not let Finn step a foot into this camp with the intent to burn it to the ground.

Their friends were not here.

So she bought herself time. She let them lay low as the sun yielded itself to the moon and as the stars began to shimmer through the canopy of the emerald forest.

She let Finn count their bullets three, four, five times with his shaking fingers and thundering heartbeat. She gave Bellamy as much time as she could to bring more people to stop Finn's destructive rampage.

And then, when Finn rose with a snarl on his tongue, Skye attacked.

She tackled him back to the ground, peppering his body with blows. Murphy whisper-shouted at her to get off of Finn, trying to pull her back.

"Murphy, this is wrong and you know it!" She hissed as she restrained Finn, seeing none of her peaceful friend in his darkened eyes.

Finn had recovered from the shock and was now flipping her off of him. She hit the floor with a thud, but was launching herself back to him in seconds.