A Child's Guilt

Scythe woke up to someone shaking her awake. Her eyes snapped open and she was out of her sitting position in an instant, pining the person to the ground, fist raised. She couldn't remember where she was, or who she was- only that she had to protect herself. She wouldn't go back.

No more- she wouldn't do it again.

A man put his tanned hands up, "Whoa Scythe, it's me."

Scythe looked at the man for few more seconds before the feral look in her black eyes was only a hazy memory and she realized where she was.

She was on the ground. This was Bellamy. She had escaped the Skybox- they couldn't hurt her anymore.

Her eyes widened and she leapt off of him, "I'm so sorry. Are you okay?"

He gave her a crooked grin, "You're stronger than you look."

Scythe adverted her eyes, ashamed she had lost herself like that.

"Hey," Bellamy said, "It's okay."

She said nothing. Didn't meet his eyes. She fell heavily back to the ground and shook her head for a moment before she began braiding her hair perfectly, albeit wincing at all of the snarls in her long black locks. Bellamy said gently, as if sensing her mood, "Meeting in one of the tents."

He held out a hand and she took it gently, feeling herself being lifted off the ground.

They began walking across the camp, Scythe noticing how tan all of the campers were becoming. Now that everyone had mostly settled into a routine, following Bellamy's orders, they began constructing a giant wall around camp. The hope was that it would keep out the grounders, but Bellamy had confided in Scythe that he doubted a bunch of logs put together by teens would keep them out.

"Before you go in there," Bellamy hesitated, "Wells is dead."

The world stopped spinning for a second, "What?"

"They found his body outside of camp last night."

Scythe had to say, she wasn't shocked, "Did someone kill him?"

"We think it was the grounders."

Scythe shook her head, "No. That would make sense for anyone but Wells. Everyone hated him."

Bellamy shrugged, "That's why we're having the meeting."

She and Bellamy stepped into the giant tent and noticed the others huddled around a makeshift table, a bloodied knife in the middle. Clarke stared at it, eyes hollow, "This knife was made out of metal from the drop ship."

Scythe needed to pay more attention around camp. Last time she had seen Clarke and Wells in the same place, they had been at each other's throats. Now Clarke was mourning him?

She shook off the questions, focusing on instead the revelation that someone had killed Wells and left behind a murder weapon.

Octavia looked at her, "What do you mean?"

"Who else knows about this?"

"Nobody, we brought it straight here."

"Clarke?" Bellamy questioned.

She looked at him, emotion swimming in her blue eyes, "It means the Grounders didn't kill Wells, it was one of us."

"So there's a murderer in this camp?" Octavia asked.

"There's more than one murderer in this camp, this isn't news," Scythe scoffed.

Bellamy's gaze slid to Scythe knowingly, "We need to keep this quiet."