Racing Cowards

"He won't even let me see him!" Octavia growled, frustrated with her brother.

Scythe had been listening to this rant for an hour already.

Octavia and Lincoln had a clear spark, everyone could see it, but Bellamy refused to acknowledge it. Octavia was livid that she was no longer able to see the Grounder that she discovered could speak English.

But the mention of Bellamy brought nothing but pain to Scythe. It shouldn't have hurt so much that he chose vengeance over her. She was growing soft. She was growing soft and she hated herself for it.

"Scythe!" Clarke called, and the black-haired girl turned from where she was talking to Octavia, "My mom wants to talk to you."

Clarke's voice was heavy with confusion, no doubt still wondering about the scars and how her mother was involved, but Scythe ignored it like everything else.

Scythe looked to Octavia as if to ask permission and the latter shrugged, "You'd better go. I'll complain more later."

Scythe groaned playfully and Octavia pushed her away, laughing.

She turned and walked over to where Raven had set up a screen for the 100 to see their parents. Scythe sat down in the chair and Clarke closed the hatch so she could have some privacy.

"Scythe," Abby breathed, looking at her with teary eyes.

She was older now, Scythe noticed. Abby had the same kind eyes, but they were lined with the beginnings of wrinkles and she looked... sadder, more subdued.

"Abby," she said, unexpected emotion rising in her chest, "It's so good to see you again."

"Look at you," Abby reached up, as if to touch Scythe's cheek like she did so long ago, but then stopped, remembering there were hundreds of thousands of miles between them, "You've gotten so beautiful."

She felt a new feeling in her heart. She had never been called beautiful before. Scythe blinked back tears.

"Scythe, I need to talk to you and we don't have much time," her voice grew urgent, fearful.

She sat up straighter, "Is everything okay?"

Abby looked up at the ceiling, tears splashing down her cheeks, "No. Not really."

"What's going on?" Panic gripped her chest, if Abby was in trouble there was no way to get to her, "What can I do?"

The fondness in which Abby looked at Scythe then made her want to cry. She had never had a mother, hers had died when she was so young that she rarely wondered what it would be like to have one. When Scythe was arrested and Abby came to patch her up she was so kind. It was such a stark contrast to anything Scythe had experienced before. It was one of the first times she let herself wonder what her life would have been like with a mother.

She also remembered Abby's husband Jake who had stopped in for just a few moments to steal a quick kiss from his wife. When he saw her back his face hardened with anger for only a split second before softening and breaking into a goofy expression. He had ruffled Scythe's black hair gently and gave her the kindest smile, proudly boasting about how she was in the best hands with Abby. She wasn't sure if he had known what she had done, but Scythe liked to pretend he did know, and that he didn't care.

Clarke had mentioned that her dad was floated, and Scythe was more sorry than she would ever know. Jake was a good man- one of the first good men she had met.

So yes, Scythe knew Clarke's parents. Abby had advocated for Scythe, but the latter didn't hold any hope of being released. Still, Abby had done everything before Scythe had to beg her to stop. Beg her to think of her daughter.