Burning the World

BELLAMY

One day, Bellamy was going to destroy the world.

After his mother had died, after Octavia was ripped from his arms, he had promised himself he would show no mercy to the world. It had certainly never shown him any.

Then he had met Skye.

Someone who was as angry at the world as he was. Someone whose cold rage had fueled the fire that had been burning in him since his family was ripped apart.

But her anger was different than his. Despite being icy and perpetual, it was not destructive.

She didn't know it, but she had showed him how to live. How to break free of the destruction he would have wrought. He had let himself believe that they could build something together.

But now, holding her unconscious body in his arms- he wanted to destroy the world again.

Never- never in his life had he felt more rage.

Finding her tied to a tree with the rope that he had made, by friends he had trusted. Seeing her cry.

Learning why she had truly killed Jacob Coleman.

Oh he burned and he burned and he burned.

Bellamy held Skye close to him.

He had meant what he said when she had slaughtered that guard. That he saw her. That he loved every part of her.

Nothing had changed

But now he grieved for her.

He burned for her.

Everything finally made sense as the net of mysteries around Skye unraveled. The most startling: Skye didn't kill Coleman out of rage.

That day in the makeshift prison, Bellamy had known instantly that something was wrong when Skye's body had frozen as the tent flap opened and Coleman stepped through. He remembered the way Skye's voice had broken, a heart-wrenching sound he had never heard from her.

When Skye had beaten Coleman so harshly he couldn't move she had held the knife over his chest, sobbing.

He had thought naively that rage was taking her over- he thought he could talk her out of it- that she would regret killing him later. But she brought her knife down.

The first time she tried to kill him her knife stopped right before piercing his chest.

He didn't realize.

She didn't want to kill Coleman.

She was just trying to protect Bellamy.

Protect him the way she couldn't protect Emery and the way she couldn't protect the others.

And it killed him.

Because for all of her protection- when it counted, Bellamy had not been there for her.

For a moment he was back in those woods, running from the Grounders. His only thought was to get them to the dropship before it was too late. Then he was being shoved out of the way, body thrown to the ground.

He didn't think he would ever forget turning around and seeing her pinned to a tree with an arrow clean through her shoulder. An arrow that had been meant for him.

And then she had pressed that damned knife to her chest- forcing it so deep it drew blood and telling him to run or she'd do it. He thought he was dying. It was all he could do to utter the words he had known in his heart since the beginning.