A Meeting of Warriors

Scythe felt good, and for the first time in her life she felt weightless. Weightless and powerful.

    Scythe was free.

    She was sitting by herself watching some of the delinquents argue about the Unity Day transmission they were watching. It seemed that some people still had the wish to be a part of the Ark.

    That was okay. Scythe didn't want to worry, not about the Ark. Never again. And when Jaha told them about the Exodus ships he was sending down in a few hours, she didn't feel the normal dread.

    Monty and Jasper began to pass around moonshine they'd made and Scythe resisted the urge to smile.

    She was free, but that didn't mean she had to stop being strong. It was okay to show weakness sometimes, Scythe was beginning to realize that.

    But that didn't mean she had to stop relying on herself.

    Scythe was strong.

    So she stood up and walked away from the celebration. There was something she needed to do.

    ~*~*~

    Inhale.

    Exhale.

    Scythe stood outside of a tent, eyes closed, heart racing. She could do this.

    With only a moment of hesitation she opened the flap and took a step in. The dark skinned girl sitting at a makeshift table looked over at Scythe for a second, her brows lifting up for a moment before she turned back to her work asking, "Hey Scythe, here to kill me?"

    Scythe kept her stony mask on, ignoring her question, "Making bullets on Unity day?"

    Raven shrugged, picking one up, "The grounders don't know it's Unity Day."

    As much as Scythe wanted to disagree, Raven had a point.

    They stayed in awkward silence for a minute before Scythe said something that she should have said a long time ago, "I missed you. I'm glad you're here."

    Raven didn't move for a while before she sighed and set down her tools, "I don't care what you think."

    "I know," Scythe said and cast her eyes downward, "but I care what you think, and if you want me to stay the hell away from you, I will."

    Raven's ponytail swished as she shook her head, "You know, Scythe, you claim you would do all of this stuff for me and yet- I have a hard time believing it."

   She spoke as if Scythe were four years old.

    "Why?" Scythe winced at how desperate that one word sounded.

    Her old friend looked directly into her eyes, "Because if you really meant it, you would go off into the woods and never come back."

   Raven didn't know that Scythe had considered that the second she saw Raven. She knew that leaving would make Raven more comfortable and maybe assuage some of her own lingering guilt but she had just fought for her right to be at the camp and she wasn't ready to give that up.

    Scythe's face stayed expressionless, but her heart dropped. She turned around, "I payed the price of your friendship once, Raven, but I won't do it again."

~*~*~

    Scythe didn't touch the alcohol. She saw how moronic some of these campers were being and didn't feel the need to lose her inhibition.