Living Ghost

BELLAMY:

Skye was a living ghost.

He had suspected it for awhile, but now he was certain.

She had run away.

Skye had never run away from anything.

The past ten minutes had been some of the most stressful of his life. There were a million things happening at once: Clarke had examined Lincoln before Octavia brought in a Grounder healer who instead of trying to save Lincoln, tried to kill him. As if things couldn't possibly get worse from there, Finn showed his face and Nyko had gone insane.

And then things really got interesting.

Because then there was a standoff where Nyko was trying to kill Finn, Bellamy was trying to shoot Nyko, Octavia was shielding Nyko with her own body, Clarke was brandishing an electric baton and Lincoln was seizing on the floor.

And everyone was screaming.

There was absolutely nothing that could have  possibly made the situation worse.

And then Skye had run away.

It was all Bellamy could do to diffuse the situation before running outside after her. He didn't care about anything in that moment except the blinding panic that he couldn't lose her again.

"Skye!" He roared into the trees, frantic eyes straining to see in the dark, "Skye!"

Where was she? Why did she run?

Where was she?

He had to force himself to shove down his fear to be quiet and listen.

A noise.

He raced for the noise, scrambling over roots and foliage coated in a shroud of obsidian night until he reached Skye and took in the sight of her kneeling in front of a tree, puking up her guts.

He had to push back memories. This wasn't the first time he had seen her puking from the panic and stress. The first time was when Finn had tied her up.

Bellamy's heart dropped into his stomach and he slung his gun over his shoulder, carefully approaching her. He gathered the shoulder length strands of her black hair in his hands and gently rubbed her back, saying nothing. Her skin was cold to the touch.

That's when he realized that she was a ghost.

That's when he realized that she was never going to be fully okay.

She had warned him before that there were some things she wouldn't be able to let go of, no matter how much time passed or how hard she tried. He never fully believed her until this moment. She had always been so good at being strong when it mattered, that he assumed she was strong enough to overcome anything. He had been holding onto the strands of hope that she had said those words during a time of vulnerability that wouldn't last forever.

Now he was holding the strands of her hair as she vomited again and again, shaking under his touch.

He should have known better. He was good with people, and he was even better at reading Skye. She didn't seem to understand that when she showed no emotion, she ended up giving away a whole lot.

He could see the way she moved through the world as if she were a wisp of smoke, there one second and gone the next. He had watched those onyx eyes mimicking shattered kaleidoscopes roaming the forest, looking for any sign that this world was an illusion.

She was a ghost in her own life.

He didn't blame her. He had seen how being shut in the floor had affected his sister. He had seen how the hours in the dark made her afraid. But Octavia had a support system. She had Bellamy and she had their mother. Skye didn't have anyone.