Chosing Sides

The vents were tight and they were dark, but Skye and Bellamy pushed through them.

They made it just in time to save Maya's dad from a guard. Bellamy took the kill shot.

When the two of them tumbled to the ground they wasted no time assessing the situation. They solved one problem after another like machines. It was like a checklist; Make sure Maya's dad was okay. Unlock the handcuffs around Jasper, Maya, and Nathan Miller's wrists. Send them to the harvest chamber. Leave to find Monty.

If Skye hadn't been in perfect shape there would have been no way to handle this much running. As it was, Jasper and Maya were panting beside them.

It took only ten minutes for something to go wrong. Maybe a new record.

"Attention," said the man over the speaker system, "Class one quarantine protocols are now in effect. All citizens must report to Level five immediately."

Maya had stopped walking.

"Listen to me," Jasper assured her, "It's gonna be okay. We're not going to let anything happen to you, will we?"

He looked to Skye and she nodded. She had made a promise to Maya's dad. 

Maya told Jasper with morbid strength what that announcement meant. If she was outside level five in 30 minutes she was going to die from the radiation.

"Guys, we need to keep moving," Bellamy said.

"We'll get you your hazmat suit. Enough oxygen to last until the engineers get the power back on," Skye could hear the desperation in Jasper's tone.

"Then what?" She whispered, shaking, "You think Cage Wallace is going to let me live after this?"

"Then we kill him."

Skye and Bellamy exchanged a look.

A gunshot cracked through the somber mood.

They threw themselves across the hallway knowing that Monty was close by. Skye pointed her gun across the gray space and when they got closer, she pointed her gun at a body lying dead on the floor.

"It's Mrs. Ryan," Maya whispered.

"She was hiding the last twelve," Bellamy slid his eyes to Skye, "Where did they take them?"

"It's got to be level five," Maya answered.

Jasper turned to go, but Skye stepped in front of him, "No."

"Get out of my way"

"Every person inside this mountain is on level five. Every soldier," she pushed him back lightly.

"Jasper's right," Maya admitted, "After the lockdown it'll be almost impossible to get them out. It's now or never."

Bellamy started to agree, but a door slammed open and a boy tumbled through it.

"Monty!" Jasper exclaimed.

Monty collapsed next to Mrs. Ryan. Then he said something that made Skye's blood freeze and slow in her veins:

"They know about the Grounders."

He started rambling, grieving for Mrs. Ryan and the other delinquents separated from him but Bellamy stopped him, "What do you mean they know about the Grounders?"

"It's on a soldier's walkie," he whispered, "They're going for the harvest chamber."

"Echo," Skye clenched her gun when she realized, "If they take it we lose everyone."