TWO

i feel so guilty for not updating sin today but honestly there's so little Morwenna left and I wanna savour it because i'm gonna miss that chick

word count; 1824

Rosamund

It was announced not long after I left the Lord Uhtred that the King, in all his wisdom, had decided to host a celebration of my arrival. I had been here less than a month and according to Wessex, the arrival of a foreign Princess was cause for celebration. I knew otherwise, however. One of my ladies - who had come with me from Frankia - told me that rumours of the King's health were to be dispelled at this celebration. No doubt they wished to use me as a blockade for the gossip.

Addela, one of my ladies, stood behind me as she brushed out my fiery hair. It was a little wavy from being constrained and knotted rather a lot. I winced every so often from the pulling, prompting poor Addela to issue an apology, but alack, it was no her fault my hair was in such terrible condition.

I sat in my slip by the wooden table as she hacked away at my hair, watching the window. I could see the daily life of Winchester from my own room, watching ordinary people go about their everyday business. I found it utterly fascinating. It reminded me, sadly, of Aquitaine. I could not help but sit in the Palace's chapel, shut my eyes and feel as if I was back at home. But, no, this was my home now. Gwynedd would soon be my home. It was my duty and I had to accept that.

A knock at the door brought me back to reality. I did not turn to glance as Addela placed the brush on the table and swiftly moved towards the door. I could identify it opening by its incessant creaking. I heard Addela mutter a sweet 'thank you' before the wooden door creaked once more, signalling its closure. Her footsteps got louder as they approached me, prompting me to turn and face the brunette.

"What is it, Addela?"

"A note, lady." She said, handing me it. I chuckled lightly,

"From who?"

"They did not say, lady." She said, returning to my hair. I turned back to my original position and unfolded the note,

Tonight, after dusk. Meet by the arch in the courtyard.

The lack of signature suggested anonymity was necessary, which itself implied danger. I would take a lady with me, I thought, for that seemed safer than going alone, even if I was still within the remit of the Palace of Winchester.

There was another knock at the door and Addela moved quickly to open it once more. I glanced back and saw two men came in with piles of fabrics, prompting me to stand and move towards the table on which they sat.

"Who gifts them?" I asked the man. He parted his lips to speak,

"Your Father, lady." The man's voice was gruff. I nodded and thanked the two men, sending them on their way.