TWENTY ONE

sorry that this is so short but here's a cheeky double update (i mean technically it's the second already  in one night but you're getting chapter twenty two too woo) to make up for it

btw the timeline of this is a bit fast (by this point they've been married four months) but it had to be done som this book didn't turn into a 100 part book bc the plot of this thing is fucking massive in comparison to sin

here is a cheeky christmasy kinda chapter for u on christmas eve (i mean it turned christmas eve a minute ago here but o well)

ok love u enjoy and thank u for reading x

word count; 1237

Rosamund

Yule was my favourite time of year. I loved how lavishly the Palace was decorated, how the candles lit up every room in a warm manner, even the mistletoe. Owain, on the other hand, had an obvious enough favourite; the mistletoe. Each day of Yule I would wake to such a hanging mistletoe and I would oblige him.

In truth, I was growing fonder of him by the day. My life was... blissful. It was a joy to live, even if I did miss Finan terribly. I told myself it was for him that I lived but I did not know what was worse; for me to be dead and him to have no chance of me at all, or for him to have no chance in that I was locked in a marriage miles away from him. But I did not ponder on such manners; it was Yule and as Queen I intended to make it the merriest occasion.

The snow fell rapidly and the Palace walls were entrenched with a thick sheet of white. It was cold and thus I required the thickest cloak but I enjoyed trudging about in the snow, walking with Owain or my ladies. It was peaceful and a merry, festive sight that I found was much endeared to my heart.

On the topic of my heart's endearments, we had but a week ago received Edward's wedding invitation. I was excited to see him and would be glad to get away from my Father. I welcomed the trip with the utmost excitement and we would be travelling next month to Winchester. I could barely hide my joy to return to it; it had become the place I considered home.

Owain, thankfully, continued to teach me the skill of the bow. I was getting better and better and he said I would soon be like a hawk. I disagreed but I was enamoured by his compliments. He, like Finan and Edward before him, wished to show me in compliments as if it was the only way to gain my affection. But unlike Edward and Finan, Owain was my husband. He did not need to win my affection, his attempts subsequently endearing me to him all the more.

In contrast, the dreaded physicians that my Father had sent had just left my room with news that would only embolden Owain. But I would not tell him just yet; it could be his Yule surprise. I smiled to myself as I thought about it, reminiscing about what his reaction could be. I exited my rooms and sauntered down the hall before spying one of my ladies.

"Eira?" I called, seeing her scowling at two men. They were unfamiliar but likely of Llanfaes, for I could not think where else they would be from. The three of them looked at me as my voice entered the atmosphere and both men frowned, looking at each other. I reached them and folded my arms, looking at the two men.

"Your Grace," They bowed their heads but I put a stern tone one and looked down at them. I turned to Eira and gave her a soft smile,

"Are they being unkind, Eira?" I asked. She opened her mouth to respond but it was not her voice I heard.

"We were-"

I glared at the two men and cut them off, "I did not ask you." I snapped. I looked back at Eira and returned to a soft smile, "Eira?"

"They think I'm a traitor," She muttered, clearly upset by the words the men had uttered against her. I exhaled slowly, turning to face the men with such a scowl I felt God would strike them down at that moment.

"She is neither a traitor nor so unworthy that I would subject her to your company further," I spoke. I would've continued if one of the men had not spoken up,

"Her brother is," He scoffed. This gave the other man confidence I would never have expected from someone of such clearly low station,

"Forgive me, Your Grace, but you are not of Gwynedd. You don't understand our ways and this girl is tainted with stains of a traitor."

"I may not be of Gwynedd but I am the Queen of it," I snarled. "I will forgive your insolence this one time but I ask you to remind yourself of your station. I will not displease the King with the news of your... disobedience but if this should occur again, I ensure you will be parting with your heads."

They were silenced by me. They neither knew what to say nor what to respond with.

"Leave us," I commanded. They nodded hastily and hurried away like rats. I turned to Eira again and smiled, "If they do it again you must tell me, Eira,"

"I don't wish to bother you," She admitted with a sigh. I chuckled lightly,

"If you are to be one of my ladies then you shall tell me, Eira, or how else am I to protect you?"

She nodded and acknowledged my words. "Next time, lady,"

"Well," I grinned, "Let's hope they won't have the stupidity to commit to there being next time,"

- - - - - - - - - - - -

It was not long before dusk came and I returned to my chambers. My ladies left me and I lay in the bed, staring at the ceiling. I was awash with anxiety as I waited nervously, knowing I had things to tell Owain that would utterly surprise him. It was not long before I heard the chamber door open and felt the bed somewhat deepening with the added weight. It was him, I knew it.

I took a deep breath before I glanced at him and began to speak,

"I have a confession to make, Owain," I said, grabbing his attention. He looked at me with those piercing blue eyes and I felt all anxiety melt away,

"What is it?" Oh, he adored me. We had been married for four months by this point and by all accounts Owain had fallen rapidly for me. I was fond of him but I did not love him. I could not love him, for Finan still walked the land.

"I..." I trailed off, articulating the words. "It seems my Father was correct,"

"In what regard, my love?" I told him precisely what the physicians had told me. I knew, deep down, that there was an issue regarding the child's parentage. It was a child conceived so quickly that, with my knowledge of events, I questioned Owain's role. But I would not tell him such a thing, I would reduce it to a simple fact. A simple statement.

"I am with child; a wedding night child."