TEN

phwaooor third update in one night (i mean technically this is being published on the morning of 12 dec bc it's 12:40am but oops) i hope you're proud of me

Enjoy

word count; 2117

Rosamund

Finan's revelation stayed with me as I moved about the Palace. I had not expected such a confession for the Irishman but deep down I had known it to be true long before he said it. I was glad he had; it had provided me with a sense of clarity. Nonetheless, the lack of Finan in my daily life had made it all the more dull. I did not tirelessly search or inquire about him; I was doing what he asked. He did not wish to soil my reputation by association and I understood that. I had to respect his wishes, even if I disagreed with them, even if I had protested them to his face. If he loved me and I felt as I thought, I had to trust his decisions. Even if I hated it.

Edward, on the other hand, remained smitten but Alfred remained disapproving and we both knew it would never go anyway, mainly as I did not feel the same way. He was a friend, a good friend, but I had my obligations. I would not break my betrothal unless my Father ordered me to do so. I doubted he would. Gwynedd was, as ever, the bigger prize.

But, alas, just two weeks after the revelation, I found myself with Edward. I had not seen Finan nor had I expressed an intent to find him. Rumour had already swept my reputation; many had seen him leave my chambers in a fury. Addela told me the charges against him were a long list and I did not wish to entertain them. After all, to entertain them would only make them stronger. To validate them. I would not do such a thing.

"What is it you are thinking about, Rosamund?"

I glanced up at the blonde Prince as we walked through the courtyard, giving him a small smile. Edward had been somewhat of a solace over the previous two weeks, making it his mission to visit me and talk with me. He knew nothing of Finan but I still appreciated it.

"Aquitaine," I spoke with such fluency I almost believed my own lies. "It is somewhere I shall miss greatly."

"Ah, yes, of course," He smiled down at me. Edward parted his lips again to speak but the voice that spoke was not his but Lord Uhtred's.

"Lord!"

Edward turned to face the Lord and I did the sake, not quite realising the implications when I made eye contact with a familiar Irishman.

"Finan." I let his name slip from my mouth in a whisper. The men all looked at me and I felt my face burn with embarrassment. Finan could not help but smirk a little.

"Lord Uhtred," Edward awkwardly began, giving me a quizzical look. "How can I help you?"

"It was actually the Lady I wish to speak with," Uhtred spoke, giving Edward an awkward smile. The Prince chuckled and nodded, placing a hand on my waist, gripping the fabric that lay upon it. He leaned down and whispered in my ear,