FORTY ONE

i keep getting distracted by Francesco Pazzi (new! Medici! fic! out! now! because! francesco! is! hot! go! check! it! out!) and Leon (i have a Leon fic too

i keep getting distracted by Francesco Pazzi (new! Medici! fic! out! now! because! francesco! is! hot! go! check! it! out!) and Leon (i have a Leon fic too. check! it! out!) and forgetting about Finan smh I'm so bad at this

but hey if you're missing this u can always go back and reread it ;) (I... i am too narcissistic for my own good)

I am so sorry that this is so short. I am losing so much motivation for this book because it's gone on much longer than I expected and it's gone beyond the basic plot I had in mind (whereas with Sin I didn't know the ending but I knew the sort of middle arc bit making it easier to nap out). But the end is nigh so be prepared.

honestly I don't think any of you will anticipate the ending so stay tuned

enjoy x

word count; 1508

Rosamund

I was becoming more paranoid as the days passed. Owain's whore served as a lady in my household, despite my protests, and even she could be a potential killer. Owain would never do it himself unless he had ripe opportunity. He would feign as a widower, claiming to be at a loss for my death. Finan would see through it, of course, but Edward.. I doubted it. He trusted Owain because he trusted me. He wouldn't listen to Finan. I knew it.

It wasn't that I was scared of death. No, alas, mortality is God's gift to us. For how else will we reach the kingdom of heaven, if not by death? It was our only route to peace. But I feared leaving Finan behind. What would become of him? I knew he loved me but that love would put him through such pain, such anger would rise from his belly and control his sword like never before.

I was a shell of my younger self. That vibrancy, that youthful glow, that energy... It had disappeared as I grew older. But it wasn't just my age. It was the grief of it all. Losing so much had taken its toll on my body. On my mind. I grew paranoid and scared as the notion of Owain's intentions was revealed. I was terrified of him. I provoked him, I angered him, I argued with him — none of that changed. But I was terrified of the time that would come when he'd simply had enough. When he wished for another wife.

"I want him dead," I whispered. Finan's eyes practically lit up at the notion — it was something he had wished to hear from me for a long time. I had become accustomed to the notion of kill, or be killed. I didn't wish to commit regicide. How could I? It was a sin against God himself. But I had to. There was no other way of escaping him.

"I'll do it," He was quick to volunteer himself but I shook my head, knowing the risks would weigh too heavily. I couldn't lose Finan to the noose. Not now. Not ever.

"No," I spoke. "It would be sinful and too obvious."

Finan arched a brow, disbelief appearing on his expression. He likely thought me all for it. Pushing him to murder my husband. But I wasn't. And it surprised him. "I have my ways,"