Chapter 3

The World of Magic

As Ajana thought about all the things that would and would not change, she came to a startling conclusion.

She liked the fact that she was a witch more than she would like to admit to anyone, even to herself. That was when she heard a peal of screeching laughter that didn't startle her now since she knew that it was just Wallace laughing, having picked up her latest thoughts.

She forgot that they were communicating telepathically for the moment, so now she found herself embarrassed. However, Wallace was very kind.

"You have nothing to be embarrassed by. Many people feel the same way. However, few find it to be a burden. It varies from person to person." Wallace said.

Her dear owl friend came to the conclusion that she was over her initial shock and that she was ready to visit the magical land that was his home.

Ajana was shocked since she assumed that all the magical creatures lived in her world, just hidden. Probably because she, as a magical being herself, lived in this universe, reality, whatever you want to call it.

"There are many known parallel universes and probably many unknown. The land I come from is just one of them." Wallace explained.

"I see," Ajana said, trying to absorb the new information as best as she could.

"More than once people from your world stumbled across one of those realities, and not having the necessary knowledge to navigate them, they got stuck. Others came back as suddenly as they disappeared.

"How does that even happen? Didn't anyone notice people disappearing into thin air?" Ajana asked.

"No, not really. Even if anyone did notice, that person would have thought they were imagining things. Human minds often dismiss things they can't comprehend." Wallace said.

Ajana was stunned. She couldn't believe that everything she secretly hoped was real was actually real, that even stranger things existed.

"Can I see all those worlds one day?" Ajana asked, fascinated by the idea.

"I don't know about other places. But I can take you to my world, the magic land of Mag, when you are ready." Wallace said.

"I am ready now!" Ajana exclaimed.

"Are you sure?" Wallace asked, surprised by her quick agreement.

"I'll get to visit a magical land and probably meet some magical beings, of course, I am ready," Ajana said with certainty.

Wallace looked at the girl to judge if she was truly ready for all the excitement that traveling to a magical land entailed. After a moment's thought, he realized that she was more than prepared.

"How will we get there?" Ajana asked.

"I know a spell that can take us to the Inbetween, a place where portals to different worlds reside. Then, we'll enter the portal for Mag, and that's it." Wallace said.

Although Ajana was surprised, she was still ready to go. She followed Wallace as he tried to find a secluded place for doing the spell.

When he was finally satisfied, he started chanting.

"Ajana, pay attention to how I cast the spell, someday you will have to cast it, as well. Also, have in mind that you have to imagine the place where you want to go and then start the chanting." Wallace said.

'Sick and tired of this place,

Take me to another space.

It won't do wrong, it may do right,

Take me there before midnight.

Gods and Goddesses hear my plea,

This is my will, so mote it be.'

Soon enough, a strange sensation interrupted Ajana's thought. It was the sensation we all had at some point in our lives. When you first lay down to sleep, and suddenly you have the feeling of falling down and then you rudely awaken.

It was similar to that feeling, but when her eyes adjusted, she was amazed, both by what she saw and what she felt.

The first thing she saw was an enormous mirror-like construction that had a big golden arch above it. It was not quite the same as a regular mirror since it possessed some kind of shifting properties that were moving. It resembled snow you see on your TV screens sometimes when the reception is not good.

It was calling to Ajana, but she managed to resist for the time being as she wanted to absorb the whole place.

The mirror-like structure seemed to be in the middle of the greenest forest Ajana had ever seen, and the golden light falling upon it was simply magnificent. It was hilly and full of life and joy.

When she looked up, she saw that the sky was purple with a lot of puffy white clouds, and above that a few shining stars. She could also see a shadow of something that, to her looked like our moon, and although she was confused, she enjoyed the sight very much.