Chapter 51

Ajana thought that having spent a fair amount of time among the magical creatures, she would have gotten accustomed to everything, but she hadn't. The smaller portal caught her by surprise since she didn't see anything out of the ordinary before they were swept away into another part of the elf's land.

The forest seemed greener and denser there. The colors were so strong and bright that Ajana had to close her eyes for a moment to help them adjust. Only when she started opening them little by little could they adjust to the beauty that they beheld.

It was as if nature itself was somehow purer and better-taken care of than what she had seen when they first stepped through the portal.

Once she got used to the breathtaking greenery, she noticed that there was another wonder that awaited her discovery, a magnificent waterfall.

She stood in awe, her chimpanzee mouth wide open, admiring the sight she had dreamed of her entire life. The freshness of water and the power of the waterfall made her feel good, relaxed which was exactly what she needed after the tense moments they had.

Soon enough, they were all brought back to reality by the snapping of branches behind them. All the elves were ready to use magic to defend themselves, thinking they had been followed, in a way they were.

"Wait for me," Bluebells said, breathing with difficulty.

Wallace gave the signal to the elves that it was okay while Ajana just stood there astonished. The last thing she expected to see was Bluebells. Before she had the chance to do or say anything, something flew towards her and made her stumble and fall.

Soon, the rustling of the pages could be heard, and she realized with relief that it was Rex. In an instant, relief was replaced with fear, fear for her darling Rex and hyperactive Bluebells.

"You shouldn't be here Bluebells! And why did you bring him with you?! It's dangerous here." Ajana said.

"Ajana. Rex. Together." Rex said.

As he said that Ajana couldn't help but gently stroke his pages in affection.

"I am sorry, I didn't know he hid in my saddlebags. I put a few snacks in there. I was wondering why the snacks were so heavy. Rex, you little rascal." Bluebells said.

"Why are YOU here?" Ajana asked.

She didn't mean to sound rude, but she felt much better when she thought they were safe back home. It was enough that Wallace, Kieran and his people were in danger, she didn't want more individuals to be in danger, especially the ones she cared about.

"Well, since I found everything that was happening strange, I decided to follow you. As I was reminded by Cassie, I have wings and I decided to use them.

Wallace looked preoccupied and you never looked up, so it was pretty easy to follow you. I was afraid that the elves would be more cautious but they weren't so I was never even spotted.

While you were fighting I flew hight up in the air, and when I saw you escape, I quickly followed through. Still, I got very tired so I had to walk the rest of the way here. I guess I understand now why it was so difficult to fly." Bluebells said, staring daggers at Rex.

"Alright, we can't lose any more time. Let me put a waterproof spell on Rex, and we can go inside, it's not safe out here, the protections are weaker here." Wallace said.

"Inside where?" Ajana asked.

As she asked that, she started looking around one more time, only to come to the same conclusion, there were no constructions around them, only the trees and the waterfall.