Chapter 32

Once she reached Wallace who was perched on a high branch of the tree, she realized how much she missed spending time with him.
She always thought that witches got to spend all their time with their familiars, but Wallace wasn't an ordinary familiar after all, and she should have expected that they wouldn't get as much time alone.
As much as she wanted to bring up the subject with Wallace, she knew that a more difficult task was in front of her, to look Wallace in the eyes after failing so miserably.

"Ajana, my dear, you are here," Wallace said before she had the chance to think of an excuse for her failure.
"Wallace... I... I am sorry. You must be very disappointed in me, ashamed that you are my familiar." She stammered out.

Although it was difficult to read an owls expression there was a light shining in the majesty that were his eyes that gave her hope that not everything was lost, not yet.

"Disappointed? What are you talking about? I couldn't be prouder of being your familiar." Wallace said.
"But... I failed you. I am undetermined." She said confused.
"What are you talking about? It is as clear as day that yours is the healing magic." Wallace said.
From the way, he stood tall and proud it was obvious that he approved.

"But how is that possible? I failed all the tests!" She said.
"I wouldn't say failed, but yes you didn't show any innate potential in none of the tests, except for the last one," Wallace said.
"Last one?" She asked.

Although she was trying really hard to remember which test she did better and how she managed to pass it, she had no idea what he was talking about.

"I thought you've figured it out Ajana, you are a bright girl. Maybe you are blinded by the low self-confidence that you seem to be unable to stop drowning in.
That is the only explanation for not understanding that the girl that you helped was actually the final test.
You proved that you are a true healer who cares about helping others and not the glory of recognition for doing it.
The true healer doesn't focus on tests and himself but is more concerned with others' well-being.

I saw you during the tests.
You spent more time worrying about the others than you did on the tests before you although they were important to you.
The thing is, no matter how much you cared about the tests your heart cared more about the well-being of others in that room than it did about your own well-being.
You passed that test as you humans would say with flying colors." He said.

"But... I don't understand... I didn't show any powers in doing that." Ajana said.
"You must certainly did. You showed the power of your heart and that is the power we appreciate the most.
Besides, I hear that the physical manifestation of your powers showed up later on when you protected Kieran." He said.

"You heard about that? I didn't mean to get in trouble with the principle but I had to protect him." Ajana said.

"Yes, I heard and I must say that is quite an impressive display of power for someone who had just started learning about magic.
Trust me, Bob is...hm... different. The war changed him so it's not so difficult to get in trouble with him.
That's especially true if his daughter is involved.

Ever since the war, he has cherished that girl like a gentle flower and refused to see her for who truly was, a scared and hurt girl who turned into the worst bully his school had ever seen.
I tried to speak to him about it, but he is too blinded by his pain to see anything beyond what he wants to see." Wallace said.

Ajana was intrigued by the things he told her. She wanted to know what war he was talking about, what pain, but she felt like it would be an invasion of the principal's and Orla's privacy if she asked more questions. After all, her father had always taught her to be kind and considerate even to the ones who forgot what kindness was.
Instead of meddling in other people's lives she decided to focus on her own.

"So you are sure I am a healer?" She asked.
"We are all certain that your magic is the one of healing and protection, yes.
Honestly, I am not surprised by that. I was more surprised by Kieran." He said.
"By Kieran? Why?" She asked.

"Well, obviously he did a great job in all the magical fields because of the way he grew up. We knew that he had to learn quickly, to survive. That part I expected.
But to see him help you out with the hurt fairy, it was a pleasant surprise for me." He said.

"How come?" Ajana asked.

"Well, it is said that warriors, especially the ones that have been in war from such an early age lack the necessary, well, tenderness to heal. However, at that moment, when I saw him helping you, I could see that he had a healing potential." Wallace said.

Although Ajana had never experienced war, she thought she understood what Wallace was trying to say.
It sounded like it was easy to roughen up, to close off your emotions when all they did was hurt you or lessen your chances of survival.

"I am thinking about putting healing as his major classes, with you. Would that be okay?
Of course, there would be others there but I really think you can help him out." Wallace said.

"Yes, that would be okay. I think we are in a better place now.
I feel the need to help him, so I will not ignore it, I will help him out with everything.
But I have to ask. Why healing when you said he did everything else very well?" She said.

"Honestly, when he first arrived I did not believe we would be able to teach him anything he did not already know but now I see a chance for him to grow, as a person, as an elf.
I think that is what this school should do for everyone, so I want him to be given the same opportunity." He said.

"Yes, I think that's fair, but I don't feel like the other students agree with you. Either about him being there or even me being there." She said.
Although she tried to stay upbeat and positive most of the time, it stung a bit that she wasn't as wholeheartedly accepted as some other beings.

"They have their own reasons for behaving like that. You shouldn't take it personally." Wallace tried to comfort her.
"Will you tell me why most people are cautious around or dislike the ones who come from my world?" She asked.
"Yes, when you are ready. I think you have more important things to think about now, and not their elephant-like memory." Wallace said.

"Okay, fine. But can you answer me an entirely different question, then?" She asked.
"What is it?" Wallace said.
Feeling embarrassed Ajana lowered her gaze, ashamed of how much she didn't know about herself, about being a witch, about having a familiar.
"Nothing, it's nothing." She said unable to think of the way to ask the questions that troubled her and not to sound weird.

"Oh, I see," Wallace said sensing her thoughts.
"You are used to the notion that the familiars and their witches or wizards spend all their time together, but you rarely see me these days. Am I right?" He asked.
Instead of answering, she nodded her head.

"We are different from them, my dear Ajana. Never in the whole worlds was a similar pairing because owls rarely accept being familiars because of how powerful we are on our own.
But sometimes it is not a choice that you can make, it is a path that you have to follow because the Great Father Owl has chosen it for you.

It is our destiny to be closely connected with each other, but as we are so unique we also have our own separate callings to follow, me being the teacher of wisdom, and you being a student of healing.

What I want you to do is remember one thing.
You and I, we are never apart because we share the special bond of magic and friendship.
If you ever need me you can just think of me and I will hear you and I shall come no matter what." Wallace said.

As he said that, he lowered one of his magical wings on her shoulder and a spark flew out of it as if to confirm the eternal bond that connected two souls.