10. Gabriel

It was nearing two when the photographer finally left and we all regrouped in the sun room.  Eve was sat looking a little nervous as we all joined her.
"I'm sorry, there's nothing to eat here, but I can make a coffee, if you would like" she offered shyly, wringing her hands in her lap.
"Are you finished here baby?" Lo asked her reaching for her hand and making her squeak.
"Eve?"
"Yes, I'm done here today" she replies looking at me.
"Good, lets go get some lunch" I tell her and laugh at her expression as Lo pulls her up out of the seat.
"How did you get here?" Mike asks remembering she doesn't have her own car.
"Um, I'm using fathers old car" she mutters.
I try to think what it is, it's been so long since they were here, I can only remember a Mercedes and a Range Rover.
"Which one?" I ask.
"It's a fiat, the housekeeper used to use it when she was full time" she explained and I looked at my brothers, it was three years since there was a full time staff here.
"Is it safe, has it been checked?"
She looked at us innocently "I'm sure it is, father wouldn't have suggested it otherwise" she explained.
"Go get your coat Eve, we'll meet you outside" I smiled at her and she nodded "okay" before disappearing into the house.
"Lets check it out, but we need to be quick" Mike muttered, moving towards the front door, Lo and I hot on his heals.
The car was everything we were expecting and more, Lo pulled out his phone and searched the online MOT, TAX and insurance information on the car and unsurprisingly there was none, her father had put her in something potentially dangerous, Mike swore from the other side of the car and looked at us "tyre this side is bald, she can't drive this, it's unsafe"
"She can't drive it anyway, its illegal" Lo agreed.
"How do we tell her?" I asked them.
"Tell me what, Gabriel what's wrong?" Her voice came from behind us.
I turned and faced her "this cars unsafe, it has a bald tyre, not tax or MOT, it's illegal to use it on the road"
She turned white "but my father, he told me to use it, said it was okay" she wrapped her arms around herself and we gritted her teeth, once again her parents showed their lack of care for her.
"Do you need a car?" Mike asked her moving round towards her.
"Only to come here, I did think about getting one myself but I don't really need it, it's just the bus doesn't come out this way"
"We can bring you out here when you need to, or you can use one of our cars" I told her, watching as Mike pulled her in for a hug.
"I can't put you out like that" she objected but Mike silenced her with a finger on her lips "hush, we want to, now be a good girl and nod your head to show you will let us help you" he instructed her and we all breathed a sigh of relief when she nodded her head for him.
"Right, now that's settled, we will put this in the garage and then go eat, Mike put Eve in the car, Gabe open the garage" Lo says plucking the keys from her hand and starting the car, grimacing at the sound of the engine as he reverses up to the garage.
Locking everything up we turn towards home.

Stopping in the village we pull Eve towards the cafe, waving to the locals who offered greetings before ordering a selection of sandwiches for us to share.
Eve had been silently watching both the village and us and I wondered how long it would be before she questioned what Lo had told her, we had kept up a conversation about work content to let her engage in
her own time, we just wanted her to relax by our side.
Food arrived and we pushed the platter to Eve to choose first "I'm not hungry" she muttered softly.
Lo growled and she raised wide open eyes to him and gulped. "Have you eaten today?" He demanded looking at her.
She shook her head and I felt anger rise in me.
"You will eat something" Lo ordered.
"Yes sir" she said breathily, not taking her eyes of Lo.
Mike and I exchanged a smile, her agreement easing some of the anger and as she took two sandwiches onto her plate and dug in, every now and then peaking up at Lo.
Once we had finished eating and had poured more tea, I guided the conversation to our younger brothers.
"Did the boys help you with the office?" I asked her and she smiled at me, I could see a spark of mischief in her eye "Oh yes, your mom sent them down because they got caught pranking Evie, they were a bit embarrassed to talk about her, which was fun, I met her this week and she's lovely but your brothers are driving her mad" she replied grinning at us.
"Oh and I need to say thank you for the computers, it was kind of you to give them to us, it meant I could get in with work and check my emails....oh do you have our laptops, we couldn't find them after the move and Charlie thought they may be in your car" she rushed out.
I put my hand on hers and threaded my fingers through hers, "yes we have your laptops, sorry they were overlooked but I can drop them in later, are you in a hurry for it?" I prompted watching her face as emotions chased across them, her eyes darting to each of us, settling on Lo as he said "Charlie said you had some problems with your laptop, do you want us to take a look at it for you?"
We all watched amused as Eve turned bright red and fidgeted "no no it's fine, nothing for you to do" she squeaked out.
"Oh it's no problem" he persisted grinning at her downturned head.
I squeezed her hand and she looked at me "don't worry, we're only teasing you, I know Lo told you earlier but we all want to spend time with you, to get to know you better, we've waited till you finished uni but we want you Eve, do you want us?"
She shook under my hand as we waited for her answer.
"Do you want us Eve?" Mike repeated when the silence stretched on.
She jumped at his words, her eyes flicking between us all and her body tensed, I tightened my grip, I wouldn't let her run.
"Yes" it was a whisper barely loud enough for us to hear but we did.
We paid our bill and still holding Eve's hand I guided her back to the car, ready but reluctant to take her home.
"Do you have plans for later? Mike asked her.
"No, I have some translation work I need to finish up and send in but it's not much"
"Will you let us cook you dinner?"
"Yes" she agreed softly.
"Good girl, i will pick you up at 7" I told her and we watched till she let herself into the house.