20. Angelo

My sisters all arrived looking flustered, Jo had flung herself onto Eve hugging her and scolding her in turn as Emme and Charlie glared at me "A note Lo, the least you could do was leave us a note" Emme growled.
"I'm sorry, it just happened, I found Eve in the kitchen unsettled and afraid to sleep and just wanted to help her, I'm sorry we scared you" I told them, shoving Jo sideways off of Eve who she was still squashing "Hey" Jo shouted from the floor and Charlie giggled pulling her up to her feet.
"Eve, are you okay?" Emme asked watching her worriedly. Eve peeked out of the covers "I'm sorry I scared you, I just didn't want to disturb you, you were sleeping, then Lo helped me, I didn't mean to worry you" she told them guiltily. I pulled her into my side and tickled her, making her squeal with laughter "my fault, not yours, now say it..it was Lo's fault" I tickled her until she cried out the words in between her laughing. "good girl" I praised pulling her in for a kiss to the delight of our sisters who hooted and teased.
"Right you lot clear off so we can get up" I ordered, still holding Eve close to me. Charlie shook her head, "oh no, we are taking Eve with us, who knows what you'll do to her, if we leave her here" she teased as Jo pulled Eve out of my arms. I lay back smiling as I watched them surround Eve, Emme having grabbed my robe off the hook and wrapped it around her. I grinned seeing her completely covered by it and laughed as she peaked at me over the collar as the girls fussed around her.
Mike stepped back to open the door for them, his smile soft as he watched Eve with our sisters. "We will be down soon" he told her, pulling her towards him and kissing the top of her head before releasing her to allow the girls to sweep her away.
I looked at Mike and grinned "sorry for worrying you all, it just happened" I told him, hoping he understood. "I would have done the same, I'm just glad one of us was there to help her, but my turn next". I laughed "you'll have to work that out with Gabe, but I agree as long as she's with one of us, I'm happy, be happier if its all of us though" I climbed out of bed and stretched, "i'll get dressed and see you downstairs, do we know when the police are due?" I asked him.
"Dad told them 11 and I know mom talked to Eve about evidence photos yesterday, I think Eve agree to let Emme take them, but the police may want to do their own" Mike said and I could hear the worry in his voice. "only if she agrees" I growled and Mike nodded.
xx

Eve was dressed and sitting at the kitchen table breakfast in front of her when I joined them, sat between Gabe and Mike she was blushing prettily, much to our families delight. I smiled as mom put more toast on the table and handed me a mug of coffee, scolding me about not leaving a note about Eve being with me. "I know, I know, I'll remember next time" I laughed holding my hands up to them all and watching Eve's blush get redder. Dad Luc strolled in and we laughed as mom giggled as he swept mom up into a kiss before greeting us all "good morning family mine". a chorus of replies sounded from around the table and we all relaxed together through breakfast.
Charlie and Mom cleared the table before mom sat down and took Eves hand in hers "Eve, your mother phoned last night, do you want to speak to them?" Eve shook her head, looking down at the table and avoiding our watching eyes "i..no, not yet" she whispered. Mom squeezed her had, "we will talk to them for you if they call, don't worry about them, now the Police will be here this morning to take a statement, are you feeling up to it, if not we can put them off a little longer".
"no" Eves voice was stronger this time "I want to get it over and done with" she lifted her head and looked at mom "will you..would you stay with me....during...the police" Eve asked looking at mom uncertainly. "Oh Eve, of course I will, you are family and I will always be there when you need it" I could see the tears in Eve's eyes at moms words as she whispered "thank you"

The doorbell and the phone ringing snapped us out of the emotional bubble that had formed and my eyes snapped to the clock, it was only 10am the police weren't due yet, Dad Hades went for the phone whilst Dad Luc headed for the door. my gut tightened and all our eyes went to Eve as dad spoke "Good morning Mr Carstairs". I watched her face pale and was glad when Gabe pulled her trembling body tight against his side, giving her support whilst we listened to Dad.
"No, she is not available at present, can I give her a message from you" dad told him and I smiled softly at her, we would keep them away until she was ready to deal with them, I hoped that would be never, but knew our girl was too kind and forgiving to realise just how selfish her parents were and how they had put her at risk, again and again.
"Mr Carstairs, I am aware you are her father but Eve has had a traumatic experience and I consider her part of my family, so I will do everything we can to make sure she is safe and well and not exposed to any further risk". Gabe, Mike and I exchanged looks at Dads words.
"I am aware but I am sure you are perfectly able to instruct your local solicitor to deal with your house and personal matters, this is not something Eve will be dealing with any further" Eve's eyes widened as she watched our dad on the phone and I watched her chew at her bottom lip in worry.
"Yes Mr Carstairs, I understand that you think you do but at this point I have great difficulty seeing it, good day to you" Dad rolled his shoulders back and came to sit back down at the table facing Eve, he smiled at her kindly "Don't worry Eve, it will be alright". she looked at him and nodded but I could still see the worry in her eyes.

I looked at my family around her and silently promised her I would do everything in my power to keep her happy and safe always, whatever it took.