19. Eve

I lay in the bed the girls settled around me and shivered as I remembered what had happened, although I had spoken to the girls about it and assured them I was going to be okay, I felt uneasy every time I closed my eyes.  I thought about tomorrow, the police visit and knew I would have to again relive what happened.  The rational part of my brain was telling me nothing happened, I was just bruised, I was lucky, I was lucky but I didn't feel it.
Jo snorted and rolled over in her sleep next to me and I sighed silently, listening to the different tones of their breathing, hoping the sound would help me relax, lull me to sleep.  I was still wishing three hours later, maybe a warm drink would help me, I slid silently from the bed and out of the room, padding down the stairs into the kitchen, shivering slightly as the cool air circled my bare legs. I buried my nose in the neck of the t-shirt Gabe had lent me, I could smell him on the fabric, it comforted me. I left the lights off, the moonlight coming through the windows was enough for me to see what I needed to.
I spooned out the hot chocolate and heated the milk, lost in my mind as I drank my drink, starting as a soft voice spoke from the doorway.  "Eve, what are you doing up?" Lo stepped into the room and lifting the empty cup from my hand he pulled me into his arms "couldn't you sleep?" he asked stroking my back.  I shook my head, pulling back slightly, "I thought a warm drink might help but I just can't settle and I don't want to disturb the girls" I tell him softly.
"Do you want me to go?" he asked looking down into my eyes and I felt fear at his words, my expression and hurried "no" telling him more than I meant to.  "come" he said as he held out his hand to me, palm up, I shivered, my eyes dropping to the ground "look at me" he ordered gently and I lifted them to his "come" he repeated more firmly. His words and actions playing on every fantasy I've had about them.
My stomach clenched and I raised my hand, placing it in his and silently following him from the room, he lead me past my door and up another flight of stairs and into their apartment, I could feel my heart racing but not with fear, I felt safe.  Lo pulled me into his bedroom, closing the door behind us before tucking me into his bed and pulling me in close to him, "i'll hold you tonight, you can sleep, I'll keep you safe" he promised, his hand holding one of mine against his chest, the warmth of his body surrounding me. I felt my body relax and allowed my eyes to close knowing I was safe.

xx
The banging of doors and raised voices woke me with a start, I felt the warmth curled around me move and remembered I was in Lo's bed "what's going on?" he growled, pulling me closer and hugging me tight.  "I don't know" I replied blushing in his arms.
BANG.  The door to Lo's room flew open and hit the wall behind it "Eve's Missi...." Gabe shouted from the door, his words tailing off as he saw my face peeking out of the covers.  "Eve!" he repeated. 
"Where?" I heard Mikes shout from further out but Gabe stepped into the room, moving closer to the bed "what the fucks going on" Lo growled.
Gabe ran his hands through his hair and I couldn't tell if he wanted to kiss me or kill me "Lo, for fucks sake, the whole house is looking for her" he grated.  "What!" I exclaimed struggling to sit up.  "the girls panicked they couldn't find you, they've checked the granary, the house, the grounds and you were here, they thought you had wandered off in the night"
"I couldn't sleep" I whispered wondering how something so innocent had resulted in this "that's all, I couldn't sleep, I didn't want to worry anyone" I muttered, chewing at my lip, anxious about worrying everyone.  "Eve, baby breathe and relax, this is not your fault, I should have thought about leaving a note" Lo soothes his arm wrapping around me.
"Listen, i'll go and tell everyone she's here and grab some breakfast for us all, relax Eve, no-ones angry, they just want to know your safe" Gabe smiled and left the room, I groaned falling back down into the pillows as Lo chuckled before looking serious "this mornings wake up aside, how did you sleep?"
"Like a baby" I told him surprised when I thought about how tense I had been last night "before I couldn't sleep as every time I closed my eyes I was back at the house, they were there, but after, with you, I felt safe". He looked at me "then it was worth it and I'll hold you every night if it helps" he smiled. 
"Oh no, he can take turns" Mikes voice added from the doorway.
"Hey" I squeak, suddenly feeling embarrassed that I was in Lo's bed with Mike watching me.
"You okay?" He asked, coming into the room and sitting on the edge of the bed, sandwiching me between Lo's body behind me and Mike in front.
I opened my mouth but couldn't speak so nodded silently, hoping that would be enough but Mikes finger under my chin lifting my head and his growl of "use your words" had me shivering, my whole body pulsing as I quickly replied "yes sir".  His finger stroked down my throat and I swallowed, frozen in place, his finger now resting about my frantic pulse.
"Such a good girl" he praised softly "now brace baby, I hear my sisters coming this way" he pulled away from me, standing as we heard Jo shouting my name.