A conversation not meant to be heard

After our small snowball fight we went into Hogsmeade as I knew Sirius Black posters were all over the place and I scowled.

"Those weasels! Never told me about any Marauder's Map! Neither did you." Draco said to that one.

"But Worth isn't going to keep it. She's going to turn it over to Professor McGonagall, aren't you?" Hermione said and I, Neville and Draco looked to her as if she was crazy. I wasn't giving that map up! It's the Marauders map!

"Oh sure. Along with her invisibility cloak." Neville said to her as I had my hood up to disguise myself as well as Neville. We both shouldn't be here.

"Yeah, along with all the pranks we did like filing her office with cat nip." I said to her.

"Oh, shut up. McGonagall would go ballistic if she found out about that." Hermione said and I laughed remembering the time McGonagall went crazy due to her cat Animagus. Fun times with the twins and us. "Look who it is. Madam Rosmerta." Hermione said. "Draco fancies her."

"That's not true!" Draco said defensive. I was snickering at the banter between the two.

"Professor McGonagall!" A voice came and it showed up ahead Cornelius Fudge emerges from a Ministry sleigh as Hagrid swings the door clear and - with unfortunate ease - rips it clean off the fittings. Fudge joins Minerva and a curvy barmaid Rosmerta outside the three broomsticks pub.

"Cornelius!" Minerva called out as she walked in the snow.

"Rosmerta, my dear. I hope business is good." Fudge said to Rosmerta.

"It'd be a right sight better if the Ministry wasn't sending Dementors into my pub every other night."  Rosmerta said getting closer with the hammer causing Cornelius to back away as Moody came into the sight next to Minerva.

"We have a killer on the loose." Fudge said to her.

"Sirius Black? In Hogsmeade! And what would bring him here?" Rosmerta asked him. I was curious as why they are talking about Sirius? I knew Sirius was after something but what?

"Harry Potter." Fudge said to him.

"Harry Potter!" Rosmerta said to that one.

Fudge looks around nervously, then jerks his head towards the pub. As he leads Rosmerta, Moody and Minerva inside.

I though chucked the cloak on me and went after them with my ears twitching. Hermione, Draco and Neville looked for Worth but she was all ready gone. "Worth?" Neville asked with worry. She's gone. Footprints track through the snow, into the pub.

"Worth!" Hermione said with franticness as Potter was all ready gone as well.

As I thread through the teeming pub, past a sign ("No Underage Wizards") and nearly collide with some very strange-looking patrons. Neville, Draco and Hermione ripple briefly past a frosted window, then... three shrunken heads swing into view.

"No underage wizards are allowed in today." One of the Shrunken heads said.

"Shut the damn door!" Another shrunken head said.

"So rude." Hermione said to that.

"Thick heads." Draco muttered to that one.

"Thick heads?"

"How dare they!"

"Who are they calling thick heads?"

"Young whippersnappers!"

I moved a chair out of the way to follow Moody, McGonagall, Fudge and Rosmerta. I knew I could have gotten caught but I was invisible. I hurry after them up the stairs as they went into a room from way I can hear and the door starts to close, and I rush but it closed and so I nervously upended the door and then rush in as as Rosmerta recloses but Moody was looking straight at Worth, but he looked away as if nothing was there. Moody knew she needed to know.

"Now. Tell me what this is all about." Rosmerta said to the group.

"Years ago, when Harry Potter's and Worthless's parents were marked for death, they went into hiding. Few knew where they were. One who did was Black. And he told You-Know-Who." Minerva started and I listened but scowled at the parents part. I didn't have parents...James was my step father and I hated him with every fibre of my being with Lily who turned me blind! I hated them.

"Not only did Black lead him to the Potters that night but he also killed one of their friends Peter Pettigrew." Fudge said and my fists clenched with the name of that rat! I hated the bastard. He knew I was being abused but he always smirked at me.

"Peter Pettigrew?" Rosmerta asked.

"Little lump of a boy." Minerva informed. "Always trailing after Black."

"I remember him." Rosmerta said and Moody was listening. "Never let James and Sirius out of his sight. What happened?"

"Peter tried to warn the Potters..." Minerva informed and I was shaking with suppressed anger. He didn't try and warn the Potters he bloody led them straight to us...Sirius kept this from me! "And might have managed, had he not run into an old friend, Sirius Black." Sirius didn't do anything!

"Black was vicious. He didn't kill Pettigrew. He destroyed him. A finger. That's all that was left. A finger. Nothing else." Fudge said and I glared.

"There wouldn't of been that if I got him." I muttered to myself. I would have killed the rat with my bare hands if I had to.

Rosmerta looks to Minerva. She nods grimly. "Sirius Black may not have put his hands to the Potters, but he's the reason they're dead." Minerva informed. That's not true! Sirius wouldn't ever harm me.

"Now he wants to finish what he started." Moody said gruffly.

Minerva nods, then looks pained as she was passed a drink. "But that's not the worst of it." Fudge said to that. I listened. What more could they be?

"What could be worse?" Rosmerta asked. I asked that myself that question so what could it be?

"This: Peter Pettigrew was Harry Potters godfather while for his sister Sirius Black was and remains to this day...Worthless's godfather. Apparently Sirius was going to use Worthless against us by giving her to Voldemort, it would separate the two siblings in which would lead to destruction. That's why You-Know-Who never went after his sister." Minerva said.

That did it. I was shocked. They believed that Sirius would hand me over to Voldemort?! He wouldn't ever do that! Pettigrew was Potters godfather....that bastard. I wouldn't ever join Voldemort. I felt the tears as everyone believes I would join him as I ran out looking pale as I ran down the stairs and banged open the door to reveal the Main Street.

Draco, Hermione and Neville waited, rubbing their hands against the chill. As they looked down, they saw footprints appear in the snow.

"Draco, Neville, look. Something's wrong." Hermione said with worry and the three went after Worth.

I barged through the choir knocking them over. "Sorry. Excuse me." Hermione apologised.

"Merry Christmas." Neville said to them and they ran past.

It then showed a rocky outcrop, the footprint ends and sobs are heard. Draco tried to stop Hermione but Hermione went anyways and Neville followed carefully. As they approached, they kneeled down and very gently drew the cloak from Worth. I stare into the mist with tears running down my face.

"Worth, what happened?" Neville asked softly as Draco then came to the others.

"He was their friend. And he betrayed them. He was their friend!" I screamed with my eyes hardening with determination. "I hope that rat finds me. Because when he does, I'm going to be ready. When he does, I'm going to kill him!" I shouted as I was shaking with anger as they hugged me as I broke down crying.