{18} Protect What Matters

After the battle with the Land of Snow Shinobi, the ship was on sail again with heavy a heavy wind and blizzard going on. Sasuke got Ruka into a room and tried his best to warm her up. But the methods he tried did not work. 

Sasuke tried putting on a fire, but the Maiden's skin remained blue. "What happened!?" Kakashi rushes over. 

"One of those guys slammed her into the snow! I saw it!" Naruto answers. 

"Nothing is working. I can't warm her up. No matter what I do her skin is still blue." Sasuke informs. 

"She needs sunlight. She's a flower, remember?" Sakura recalls. 

"How when there's no sunlight anywhere? We're in the middle of the ocean with a blizzard out there." Naruto questions. 

"Perhaps this will help." Kakashi runs hot water on the cloth, rinses it out, then places it on Ruka's forehead. The Maiden's skin slowly turns back to fair, but she is still shivering. "Good, it's working. But that won't help her for long." 

"What do we do, Sensei?" Sakura questions. 

"For now, we just have to keep her warm. What I want to know is why Nadare and the others were after her. . . He said that they needed her for something, but for what. They know that she is the Willow Maiden, but why need her, and for what?" 

"Didn't the director say something about returning the season, Spring, back to the land of Snow or something?" Sasuke recalls from earlier. "If Ruka has control of all Green, then she must be the key to bring Spring back. She lived in a forest all her life and it was never cold." 

"How do you know that, Sasuke?" Sakura questions him. 

"She told me. . ." Sasuke remembers their conversation. "You don't know what Winter is?" Sasuke questions the Maiden as they walk around the forest playground. 

"Not really. . . Mama never explained that much to me while growing up. The only season we knew was spring. Where flowers bloom, and the sunlight helps us grow, becoming stronger. In this forest. . .maidens like Mama and I never see another season. That's why we keep this forest the same every year. . . Isn't it beautiful?" Ruka smiles, ending the conversation from there. 

"Then that's probably the reason. But, with her abilities, they could end up using her for something else, like Tatsuya tried to do back in the Grass Village." Kakashi replies, then looks back at Ruka. "We need to keep her safe and away from them. Do not let her out of your sight." 

"But all of you. . .will get hurt. . .because of me. . ." Ruka opens her eyes while gently grabbing onto Kakashi's arm. 

"Ruka! You're okay!" Naruto exclaims. 

"I do not want you all to fight those people because of me. . . If I am the key to their plan, then so be it. . . Let me handle it, please. When I saw Naruto hit the block of ice. . . I wanted so badly to help him. . . I did not want to stand to the side and watch everything as I did nothing. . ." 

"It's not a big deal, Ruka. Our mission is to protect you and that's what we're sticking to." Sakura says to the maiden. 

"But I want to fight with you all. . . I do not want to see anybody die. . . I will fight along side you, even if it kills me. . . I am not afraid to die. . . Not anymore." 

"We're sorry, Ruka. But that's not going to happen. You need to warm up and stay out of sight." Kakashi said. 

"But, Kakashi-"

"No, Ruka. That's final. Get our rest. We'll be waiting outside, keeping an eye on the Princess. Let's go, everyone." Kakashi and the rest of the squad leaves the room for Ruka to rest. As weak Ruka was at the moment, she could not argue with her team now that she is in recover at the moment. So, she continued to lie down and get her rest.