{45} The Unthinkable, Beta Or Death

Ruka stood near Itachi's dead body as the rest of the team searched out for any clues of Sasuke bein around. 'He is dead. . .' Ruka thought to herself. 'He did not deserve to die. . . He told me. . . He told me what he did. . . If only Sasuke knew the truth. . .' 

"Ruka, can you detect where Sasuke went?" Sakura asks her. 

"I cannot." Ruka shakes her head. "If I was able to, I would have sensed his footprints walking toward somewhere, but it feels like he just disappeared. Into the ground. . .' Ruka looked down at the ground as she thought, 'Could it be that other Akatsuki member? The one with the orange mask?' 

"Disappeared? That's so strange." 

"Someone must have taken him. Kiba, you and Akamaru sniff around and see if you can pick up Sasuke's scent." Kakashi orders Kiba. 

"You got it." Kiba nods and sniffs around with his dog, and the other ninja hounds. "Ruka," He looks at the maiden. 

"Yes?" Ruka looks back. 

"I need you to tell me everything that has happened when you were with Sasuke." 

"Right." Ruka nods her head and begins. "If you heard from my letter, Sasuke has gathered 3 people on his team. Once they were gathered, we went to Granny Cat for supplies, then went to one of the hideouts, but we were stopped by one of the Akatsuki. Deidara. The one with mouths on his hands and creates explosives out of clay. But, he had a new partner with him. A man with a orange swirl mask. Sasuke told me to hide while he fought Deidara, but after that big blast, Sasuke was gone for a moment." 

"Gone? You mean, dead?" Kakashi questioned. 

"No. Not dead." Ruka shook her head. "He was in another dimension in order to escape the blast. He was beaten up pretty severely, but Karin healed him and he got rest. When Karin sensed you were coming, she had me spread Sasuke's scent all over the place. But, I was careful in leaving a trail for you the others to follow. While we were on our way to find Itachi, Sasuke. . .had changed. His presence was cold, and dark. I offered him to rest so that you all could catch up, or at least get close to us, but he would not listen. His only objective was to kill Itachi. When he grabbed me, I ran. . . I am sorry for bailing out on the mission, Kakashi. . ." Ruka frowned, looking down. 

"It's alright, Ruka." Kakashi gently pats her head. "You did good." 

"Kakashi, Kiba and the other hounds can't find Sasuke anywhere. His scent is all over the place, but doesn't tell it where he went off to next." 

"Then we'll keep searching! No matter what!" Naruto shouts with determination. 

"Ruka. . . I. . ." Ruka blinked when she heard her name, like last time. It came from Sasuke. 

"Sasuke?" Ruka looked around. 

"Sasuke? Where is he?!" Sakura ran over to Ruka, hearing her loud and clear. "You just said his name!" 

"I did, but he is not here, Sakura. I heard him. . .call out to me." 

"How is that possible?" 

"I am not sure, but it happend last time. He sang one of my songs, Good night, Canarary. It is what led me to find him in the first place. But, this time he is just calling out my name. I am not sure why, unless. . . Soreda! {That is it!} 

"What?" Naruto asked. 

"When Sasuke grabbed me, the thorns from my body reacted and pricked his hand! My seed must have transferred into his bloodstream!" 

"Why do you sound so worried about this, Ruka? What's the matter?" Naruto walks over to her when she sees her eyes widened with fear. 

"Because if my seed is planted inside a person for 24 hours, they will become a Beta! Another maiden like me! Sasuke is already strong. . . If he has my abilites as a Beta, he will become unstoppable. But, the worse part is, once you become a maiden, or a Beta, you will not be able to control the abilities. You will become unstable. . . However, if my blood doe not accept you at its host, then you will in the next 24 hours. . ." 

"So, what you're saying that if your blood accepts Sasuke, he will become like you but become unstable of the Willow Maiden's powers until he learns how to control it, and if your blood won't accept him, he could die!?" Sakura exclaims. 

"Yes. . ." Ruka nods her head. "Kakashi. . . Please, let me continue on with the mission! Let me find Sasuke!" 

"Ruka, I don't think that's a good idea. What if he hurts you again?" 

"Then I will defend myself!" 

"I don't know, Ruka. You've been on your feet all day. You should rest. We can look for Sasuke later. We have 24 hours." Kakashi rubs the back of his neck. 

"And what if we do not find him within 24 hours? He could die, or become unstoppable." 

"It's alright, Ruka." Naruto places his hand on her shoulder. "I got this! You just rest up and take it easy, okay?" 

". . . Okay." Ruka nods her head, trusting in Naruto's words. "But, please. . . Hurry." 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~