{21} In Memory Of Ruka

After the mission to the Land of Snow,  Squad 7 returned to the leaf village with a dead squad member. . . Ruka's body had withered, but her body was hollow like an empty shell. Shed dead skin. 

Nobody said a word to one another as they entered into the Leaf Village. The other squads and Tsunade waited for their arrival with smiles on their faces since Kakashi sent the message about the mission being completed.

But as they entered into the village, they all saw Ruka's shed skin. As much as they didn't want to believe it, the harsh truth was revealed to them. 

Ruka is dead. . . 

They all walked to the KIA stone and lied Ruka's body near the stone, where it faded into a flower, just like her mother. Nobody said a word, still, as tears formed in their eyes, remembering the times they had with Ruka. 

(Play song, in memory of Ruka) 

"Naruto! Over here!" Ruka waves to her teammate. "Look at this!" Ruka waves her arms upward, creating a tall tree of a root that reached up to 10 meters. 

"We can climb to the highest point and see the village form here on out." Naruto suggest, making Ruka smile. 

"Yeah!" 

"Hey, you two! It's time to head back!" Sakura shouts over to them, with Sasuke and Kakashi also waiting for them. 

"Tomorrow we'll have some ramen, okay Ruka?" 

"Okay." 

"Can't we get something else other than ramen for a change?" Sasuke sighs. "How can you eat that stuff all the time? Ruka should be eating other things like tomatoes and vegetables." 

"Yeah, right. That's the stuff you like! I say we get ramen! What do you think, Ruka?" 

"Ramen and vegatables." Ruka smiles, comparing both suggestions. 

Naruto remembers of that memory before they headed out for the mission. He silently cries at the memory. As for Sasuke, 

He hears the Maiden sing in her room as she stares out the widow. "What song are you singing now?" Sauske asks as he walks into the room with a plate of sliced apples. 

"It is called, Golt. Mother told me that this song brings spiritual vibes to those who hear it. We use to sing to this all the time when it was very quiet in the Willow Forest." 

"You and your mother sang a lot of songs. Was that a hobby?" 

"Hai."  Ruka nods her head. "For some reason all the songs we sang were so peaceful and some made things occur. Not in a bad way, but in a strange way. There was no explanation for it. What do you think of my songs, Sasuke?" She turns to him with a light smile. 

He blushes and turns his head away as he answers, "They are beautiful. . . You should keep singing from now on. . . I like the sound of your voice." 

"Really!?" Ruka leans with delight. 

"Y-Yeah." 

"Arigato, Sasuke!" Ruka wraps her arms around his neck and giggles. 

Sasuke didn't want to show any tears for Ruka's death, but he cherished every moment he had with the Maiden. 'Ruka. . .' He thought with sorrow while grinding his teeth together roughly. 

For Sakura, 

"Here. This is for you." Ruka holds up a yellow bloom to Sakura and places it in kunoichi's hair as the two girls sit in the grassy field. "You really are beautiful, Sakura. No wonder the boys fawn over you." 

"Y-You really think so?!" Sakura blushes. 

"Have you not noticed? There is this one boy, Rock Lee, who has deep affection over you. I can tell that he will do anything for you to keep you safe or make you smile. I met him a few days ago while you, Naruto, Sasuke, and Kakashi were on a mission. He mentions you quite a bit. You are a strong girl, Sakura." 

"I should be saying that to you. You can do all sorts of things. You can control the plants, and earth around you. I think that's a beautiful technique. Being a Willow Maiden must be great, huh?" 

"Sometimes, but it does have its perks. My favorite part of being a maiden is feeling the earth beneath my feet and talking to the animals. In my eyes, I live in a world full of wonder. . ." Ruka stares up at the sky while saying this. "Mother and I use to think that way at least. . ." 

"You still miss her, don't you?" 

"I think about her everyday. . . She will always lie in my heart. No matter how far we are apart from each other, I know she is watching over me." 

Sakura couldn't stop crying over the fact her best friend had died in battle, protecting the ones she cares for most. 

"Thank you all for doing so much for me! I am so grateful! Watashi wa min'na o aishiteimasu!" (I love you all!) They all heard her voice as if she was still there with them, standing next to the KIA stone. 

Kakashi missed Ruka the most. She would always go to him for comfort and he would give her the answers that she needed when ever she had questions. "Kakashi-Sensei!" He could see her smiling up at him with glee. 

Ruka was never to be forgotten by her friends. They all loved her as she loved them dearly. After the small funeral, they all left as it began to rain. 

The flower, that resembled Ruka, stood there in the dirt and shined brightly. Something crumbles next tot he flower and rises up from the ground as they say, "What do we have here? She's a bit young to die. Let's take her with us. The 9 tails can wait."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~