Chapter 2

Her thoughts started wandering away as she stared at her paper with a lonely look on her face, not aware that someone was calling her name.

"..... na.. ey.... Hey, Yuna, are you feeling alright?"

Suddenly snapping back to reality, Yuna looked over at Tasuku who stared at her with concern.

"Oh.. Uh, yes. I'm fine. Just.. Deep in thought again.."

Soft whispers and pencil scratches could be heard in the room as the students worked together on their assignment. As Yuna started on her work, she felt Tasuku staring at her as if he knew exactly what she was thinking. Sighing out loud, she turned to Tasuku with her usual straight face and said,"I'll tell you during lunch, then. Let's just finish our work." Finally getting her to agree to tell him what was wrong, he gave her a small smile.

"Okay."

Walking in silence to the same spot as before, Yuna started looking at her surroundings nervously, thinking about how she would spill everything to Tasuku. Shifting from one position to another, she finally fixed her gaze into Tasuku's eyes.

"Okay.... I said I'll tell you this, but promise me you won't look at me the wrong way?"

Looking over in confusion, he nodded reluctantly at the girl, allowing her to proceed with her thoughts.

"Well, I was thinking about 2 years ago..."

A pause broke between the two. Encouraging her to continue, he began to regret asking her about this.

"Ummmm.. I lived by myself ever since and my neighbors have been taking care of me. Not many people know that I live alone and I refuse to go anywhere else."

She gave a small assuring smile to Tasuku, letting him know that she is alright.

"My dad left my mom and I one day and was never heard from or to be seen again. A few days later, my mom died in an accident when coming home from work at night."

Tasuku's mind and expression started shifting from calm to worry, gently and quietly saying, "I'm sorry.."

"Don't be.. That was what I was afraid of. You don't have to be sorry."

She smiled at him only to see that he was still worried about her.

"It looks like we relate, somehow. I didn't want to tell anyone this, but you told me about what happened in your past, so it's only fair if I shared my info to you too."

Looking up at him confused, she then realized what he was about to tell her and that it was also going to be about his own family matters.

"You see, I haven't gone to school for 2 months. It was because I got caught up in something I would call 'The Disaster' and I lost both of my parents in that accident. I was stranded in the mountains for 3 days and before the police force found me, Jack appeared to me and became my buddy, right then and there." His face slowly changed into a smile, but Yuna found it to be dull, unlike his usual.

Slowly reaching out to calm him, she decided against it and grabbed his cheeks, stretching it into a wide smile as she stared at him with a straight face.

"AOWWWW HUAT ARE YU DUING, YUNA?" he said with stretched cheeks.

"Tasuku-kun" he heard her say softly, "Smile already or else you'll become an oldie within minutes!" she said suppressing a giggle. Blinking with wide eyes, Tasuku started to change back to his usual self and smiled, reaching out and pulling one side of her cheeks.

"ACK! DON'T PFULL TOU HARD!" Yuna immediately let go of his face, shooting her hands up to Tasuku's hand in attempt to remove it.

"Why don't YOU smile more? Hahaha! It's funny how you tell me that I need to smile more when it's really you who should heed that advice, Yuna!"