12

he was her warmthshe was his peace

he was her warmth
she was his peace

CHAPTER TWELVE

SETH

It's been a few hours since I brought Daisy to my place. Dustin's already brought her school work and some clothes for the next couple of days.

She's basically been sleeping the whole time.

I was honestly so surprised when Dustin pulled me over to ask if she could stay with me.

Of course I said yes. How could I say no?

I glance at the sleeping girl next to me and feel a frown appear on my face for the hundredth time today.

Seeing her like this hurts my chest.

I notice her small body starts to move a little. I guess that's a good thing since it's almost time for dinner. Dustin told me to make her some soup, since apparently that's what he does whenever she gets sick.

I brush some of the hair out of her face. "Daisy, wake up." She whines quietly and moves further into the blankets. "Are you hungry? I can make you some soup if you want." I offer, while gently running my fingers through her hair.

She says something but it's muffled by the pillows and blankets surrounding her.

"I'll take that as a yes." I chuckle, before leaning down and kissing the top of her head. "I'll be downstairs if you need anything."

When I make it into the kitchen, I collect all of the stuff i'll need to make chicken noodle soup. Ten minutes into mixing the soup, I hear light footsteps getting closer.

I can guess who it is, since there's only one other person in my house.

I set the spoon down and turn around to see little Daisy standing at the entrance. She rubs her eyes tiredly. "Where's bubba?"

I send her a smile as I walk towards her. "He's at work. You're staying with me for a couple days, remember?"

She slowly nods and peeks around my larger figure. Her eyes light up. "Is it ready yet?"

I shake my head. "Not yet hun, soon." I slip my arms around her waist and pull her closer to me. I then use one of my hands to press it against her forehead. My eyes widen. "You're already cooling down. Do you feel any better?"

She shrugs. "A little."

"That's progress." I kiss her temple.