Chapter 40: Kings

"We are either kings, or pawns of men."

                  -Anonymous

You released a heavy sigh of frustration as you pulled harshly at the iron chain that bound your right ankle to the bed, your body flinching as the iron rubbed your flesh raw, leaving a trail of blood to drip down your foot.

You silently cursed as a sharp pain shot up your leg, causing you to stop pulling on the chain for a moment.

Your body couldn't take anymore of the struggling, you were beginning to feel weak and light-headed, you didn't know how long you had been in this room, but you see the sunlight begin to seep in through the open window.

You plopped your weak body down onto the soft mattress of your bed, your head beginning to spin and ache as your blue eyes stared at the ceiling.

Was this your life now?

Were you doomed to sit and watch as a man you cared about be forced into a marriage that he doesn't want, while you would be kept as a slave to a feeble king's....lustful desires? You honestly couldn't believe the turn your life had taken in just a short amount of time. Just a few hours ago you were being proposed to, and now you sat in your room, chained to a bed as you waited to be "put to good use"

Tears began to fill your eyes.

There was no way out of this room, you were stuck here like some kind of bird in a cage, and you hated it. You didn't want to marry the king, but that is pretty obvious.

Tears began to roll down your cheeks as you stared at the ceiling blankly, your heart dropping to your stomach.

You didn't know how Grace or the boys were, nobody talked to you or updated you about what was happening, but you couldn't help but assume the worst had happened, knowing the king he probably had them all killed.

The door to your room suddenly clicked open, causing your body to shoot up on full alert, your blue eyes wide in anticipation as you watched the king, along with a few servants who were pulling a small cart, walked into your room.

You sneered in disgust, appalled by the sight of the monster king before you.

"Get out." You growled angrily. "I don't want to see you."

The king released a heavy chuckle, his hand waving in the air as a signal to the servants behind him.

"Hello to you too, my love."

The servants slowly approached you, each one of them wearing a look of pity on their faces as they took in your disheveled stats. They gently pushed the cart over to you, revealing a full plate of hot food and a rose pink gown folded neatly on the bottom shelf of the cart.

"What is this?" You asked with disgust.

"Food." the king stated. "You haven't eaten all night, you'll need your strength to attend my son's wedding ceremony."

You glared at the man in front of you, hatred swirling in your blue orbs.

"I'm not going." You said lowly. "I'm staying here."

Richard released a heavy sigh, motioning for the servants to leave the room, which they did so gladly.

Your gaze followed the Lion King as he stepped closer to you, his royal clothes creating a "swish" sound as he approached you.

"I think you forgot who you are speaking to." He said. "I am your king and future husband, and you will obey me."

"You," you spat out. "Are not my king."