Chapter 22 - "Is It Over?"

She saw him leaving the place. She couldn't help the tears that brimmed in her eyes. She wanted to stop him and ask him to stay. But she didn't have the right to. She had lost all her rights on him the day she decided to leave.

Her hand automatically lifted up but as soon as she realized it, she pulled back. She stood there, rooted to her spot, watching his reatreating figure until he disappeared. He didn't look back once. Obviously, why should he!

***

Two days after that, she was running down the stairs.

"I have to leave now. It's already late." She spoke, dragging her suitcase towards the door. Maa had asked her to stay till the cousin's wedding but she insisted and had made up an excuse of a photoshoot. Biding a final goodbye to all of them including Aprajita, she left for Mumbai.

***

Finally stepping in her city felt like eternity. She felt relieved. But not completely.

She unlocked the door of her apartment, which was just opposite to Zain's. It was late, already 2. Thinking he must be asleep, she moved inside her apartment. Little did she know, she had snatched his sleep.

Thumping on the bed, she fixed her gaze on the ceiling. Taking in the scent of her home, she felt better. But his scent would be the best. Getting up, she splashed some water on her face and changed into some comfy clothes.

She quickly ran out of the apartment, locking it. Stopping out his apartment door, she lifted her hand up to knock it. Surprisingly, the door was open. She pushed it, careful enough to not make any sound. Slowly, she tiptoed into the house. A set of memories flashed through her mind and she sniffed back the tears forming in her eyes.

Quietly moving inside Abhi's room, she twisted the knob. Finding him resting upside down on the bed, she went and stood near him only to see his eyes glued to his phone. The room wasn't completely dark, but she still switched on some lights.

Without sparing a single glance up, Abhi spoke, "Uffo Zain. Don't say you miss her now. Don't say that you can't sleep. Please."

Listening to his words, she rubbed a tear of hers and stayed quite. Not finding any answer, Abhi looked up only to widen his eyes. Before he could scream, she bent down and covered his mouth with her hand. His eyes popped out of it's sockets and he sat up straight. She sushed him and sat beside him.

"I missed you Abhi." She spoke to which he smiled and pulled her for a hug.

"Tum kab aayi? Kese? I mean... Zain had told me something else. I am confused." He said, looking at her.

"Whatever he told you was the truth. We met just two days ago in Bikaner. A heated confrontation followed and I am really guilty for whatever happened. I wanna make it up."

"It is not that easy Aditi." He said, showing his concern.

"I know. I have hurt so many people. I am sorry Abhi." She lowered her gaze.

"It is fine. But what about him?" He asked.

"Is he asleep?" She asked, her eyes glassy.

"I don't know. Well, he has not slept properly since you left." Abhi looked at her, as if he was disappointed.

"I know. I know it is not easy to make it up for anyone. For you, for poonam, zaan, gullu and... and Zain. He is hurt. A lot. I cannot even face him. Can't even look him in the eye. I am sorry Abhi. I really am." She apologized, crying silently.

"Aditi Aditi. You know, he understands you. He didn't question you ever. Because he trusts you. But I guess you don't" his words pierced her heart.

"I went because I though he is..."

He interrupted,"Oh please. Don't start it all over again. I have already heard this a thousand times. Tum bas jao aur kuch socho. Usse baat karo if he is awake."

"Hmm." She mouthed a small Thanks to Abhi for understanding her and supporting her before moving forward to his room.

"Willingly do whatever you want. I am not going to disturb!" Abhi teased playfully when she was about to step out of the room. Her lips curved up in a smile and she poked her tongue out to him.

She twisted the knob of the door lightly and tiptoed in the room which was immersed in darkness. Careful enough to not make any noise, she moved towards the bed. Bending down to look at him, she found his eyes closed.

She pushed his chin up to close his open mouth and moved to the other side of the bed.

She saw one of his arms spread over the pillow next to him. She leaned onto his hand, placing her head near to his racing heart. Closing her eyes, she could hear his heart taking her name in each beat. She was so lucky to have him, let alone the betrayal that she had gifted him.

She couldn't understand why did she do that. Leave him? Why? Just because she was insecure? She could have told him. They would have sorted it out. Then why didn't she? She literally believed she was a great fool.

Amidst her thoughts, she felt his arms wrap around her waist. He snuggled closer to her and breathed in sharply as if he had been devoid of this warmth. Of course, he was. He must have been wanting to feel her. How could she be so selfish?

She lifted her teary lashes to look up at his face only to meet the shock of her life. There he was, his eyes wide open, looking at her intently. There, in that moment, by that look in his eyes, all she wanted was the ground to open up and have her smeared inside of it.

Not being able to take it any longer, she hugged him tight, pulling him as close as possible. Digging her head into his chest, she clutched on to the fabric of his white shirt, wetting it with her unstoppable tears.

He sighed and rubbed a tear quickly before trying to hug her back. He couldn't. His hands stopped mid way. He couldn't be hugging her. It wasn't this easy.

Just before he could push her away, he heard her beg,"Zain.. Please. Can you just hold me? Tight?"

He could bet he wouldn't have felt more helpless in his entire life. She was to break down, he couldn't let that happen. He couldn't see her in tears.

Slowly, his arms wounded around her belly pulling her close. He dipped his head in her hair, taking in her scent. She gasped and breathed in sharply.

That was enough for them both. A feeling of content in each other's arms was what they were longing for.