11

Joel's P.O.V.

I sipped the coffee that Stephen practically forced me to drink from City Brew.

The rain was finally over and there was mud everywhere. Stephen, Timmy, Ben and I were walking with a woman, Officer Billings.

I was so tired. When Melissa and Derick dropped us off last night, I headed to bed but Stephen told me to stop and we all had a long group prayer that he led. Then I was too worried to sleep.

I stepped along behind Ben, the wind ripping at our clothes and howling around us.

"We may get snow," Billings warned, "did you guys bring more jackets?"

"We have more in the bus," I muttered.

The police decided that based on Luke's cryptic note this mountain, Mt. Mcaine, would be the best option to find a cabin with water near it with several guysa and a van. Not much to go by, but if my brother is hurt, not thinking straight, or doesn't know anymore than that, it was enough and I wasn't giving up no matter how depressed I felt.

Ben was walking ahead of all of us and had wandered off the path through trees. We could still hear him crashing through trees like a bear but we couldn't see him.

"I found something!" He yelled. We all ran toward him. We found him pointing at a deep, muddy tire track in the soft earth that went on for what looked like a long time.

"Too big for a car," Billings confirmed. She grabbed her radio and started talking into it. Just then the snow began to fall heavily.

*******

Aaron's P.O.V.

"and this is Julie!" Samuel announced proudly, gesturing towards a dirty blonde girl, with her head bowed she looked up at us and shivered.

"She's new," he said, before continuing, "This is Violet." He announced even prouder. Pointing to a black haired girl with gray eyes. Violet had been reading a book, she looked up and smiled at us.

"I've had her for two years." He continued, "you've met her before, Aaron." He informed me.

"Oh right, I remember you." I said politely. She nodded before returning to her book.

"And Rosie is in the shower." He said. "I've had her for nine months but she is very stubborn and doesn't want to learn her manners." He pouted a little before exiting, the rest of us followed.

*******

We finished the tour, me being laughed at the whole time for having two girls and a full grown man taller than all of us.

It wasn't my fault he was sneaking around my property. He had to go, I knew, but I couldn't decide what to do with him. So many options but the rules were that they had to live at least 24 hours wherever they were put until you were free of charges of murder according to the ring's rules.

And I didn't want to be banned from the ring. It paid well, but it took some smarts to not get caught because we paid each other in cash, not checks.

We headed up the stairs, Ricky started towards the fridge, grabbing the liquor. Before I knew it, we were all wasted.

*******

Sadie's P.O.V.

I woke up because of the cold. A blanket was hanging off my skinny, shaking frame. I wrapped it around myself and sat up. Luke and Suzie were in the corner, sharing a quilt between them.

"How long was I asleep?" I asked, yawning.

"2 hours," Luke said and smiled at me.

How did he have any joy when he was in pain and under control by creepy men?