17

Joel

"We are going to pronounce them dead," the sheriff begain.

"No you aren't," Melissa interrupted harshly.

"Can we have another day?" Luke asked.

"Starting tomorrow?" I added.

The sheriff glanced up at the sky which was starting to snow on us.

"Fine." he agreed finally. "I will only send a few deputies with you guys, but tomorrow night, when your 24 hours is up. We are done. Agreed?"

I bit my lip as we all nodded.

Derick, Vince, Daniel and I were all on snowmobiles today while Melissa, a deputy, Courtney and Luke were in a side-by-side followed by everyone else in side-by-sides.

We are going to find them and get them home. Stay positive, Joel.

*******

Suzie's P.O.V.

"Get in the bed, pull the tarp over you and stay down and quiet no matter what. I will explain later." Aaron gave Suzie a hand into the bed where she followed his orders. he held out his hand to me. I returned his gesture with a glare and gripped the truck's side and scrambled over. He pulled the tarp over us nd darkness.

It stayed that way for 15 minutes, or 15 weeks. Hard to tell. I started to sing an old dc Talk song in my head. Singing in my head had been the only thing that occupied my empty brain that didn't make me want to scream in rage and tear the house apart.

"What the ************* *** are you doing?!" I recognized Samuel's voice and nearly jumped out of my skin. Suzie gasped, than was completely silent.

"Waiting for Brett.' Aaron replied smoothy.

"What's in the back of the truck?" My breathing stopped and my heart started beating so hard I thought it break my ribcage.

"All of your junk." Aaron growled defensively.

"And what else?" Samuel challenged. "And this? what is this?"

I could hear Aaron take a sharp intake of breath and my curiosity almost caused me to sit up.

"Stay out of my stuff, Samuel!" Aaron snarled.

I heard a shuffle then two gun shots. I stopped breathing, wishing to disappear into thin air.

"Come on out, girls. I've got a gun on you and your only saving grace is a little tied up at the moment.

Slowly and catiously, Suzie was first to obey. She threw the tarp off us and stood up, I followed suit. The first thing I saw was Samuel's angry face, then a small Bible lying on the concrete, then Aaron.

His face was ghostly white and pained. He clutched his shoulder and stomach where blood coated his plaid shirt around the bullet wound.

I ran to his side; not caring what Samuel did.

"S-Sadie, I-I I-'m Sor-sorry." He sputtered. "I-I w-wish I could ex-explain ev-everything. But pl-please, pl-please forgive m-me."

My eyes were dry. I couldn't cry if i wanted to. I stared into his blue, dying eyes for several seconds.

"But I-I will s-see you in h-heaven." He added, smiling a little.

I returned the smile. He is saved. I don't know how but now he is and he wants forgiveness.

"I, I do. I-I forgive y-you."

His pained face lightened a little and he gave me a brief, barely noticeable nod as he leaned back.

I felt Samuel's hands grasp my shoulders as Aaron's chest stopped rising and falling and the light left his eyes.

"I'm taking you two somewhere else." he grunted as he looped ropes around my hands. Suzie's were already tied and he loaded us in the cab and started the engine. He hit a remote attached to the rear view mirror and the door opened in a back road. Both sides were blanketed with trees that seemed without end. It was getting dark as we drove. To where? We did not know.