18

Joel

By noon our last day we had covered the eastern and southern parts of the mountains that we could see and it was clear with nonew snow. There was nothing on Mt. Mcaine so we moved on to the other mountains. We ended up splitting up and I was slowing sliding across the snow, looking for tracks.

I finally found a bare long stretch that might be a road if it had not been covered in several feet of snow. I followed it for what felt like an hour. My fingers were feeling the sharp cold through my gloves and my face felt numb to the wind. I began to think how stupid it was to go off track by myself and not go back and get someone to come up with me as the cold slipped through my clothes more and more.

I turned the handlebars on my snowmobile to turn around and go back when a loud crack sounded out like a giant balloon popping, I heard a roar of what sounded like a engine up the road and off to the right. Cold as I was, my curiosity warmed me and I pressed the gas with my thumb. I went slow so the engine would be quiet and I would be able to hear more if more came.

******

Sadie's P.O.V.

A loud pop right under us shook my from my daze and I jumped. Samuel said nothing and slammed his foot on the gas, the engine roared and he swore loudly before parking the truck and getting out.

"Keep your ***** in here, ******." He ordered.

I stared at the door for a long time after he left, wondering how long it took him to change the tire. I began racking my head for an idea. If he's fixing a tire we can grab the crowbar if there's one under the seat, sneak out and knock him out. Or take the truck out of park and press on the gas, wed get rolling pretty fast and maybe later jump off and-,"

Suzie jabbed my rib cage with her bony elbow and nodded her head toward the window, she didn't say anything, just stared. I did notice a dark spot slowly rolling through the trees, I couldn't hear anything since the engine was still on. Samuel obviously didn't notice to shut it off so he could hear anything approaching or us escaping. 

I scrambled around for binoculars, under the seat, on the dash and finally, behind the seat. I found a small pair, lenses covered in dust but my eyes adjusted as I leaned passed her and rolled the window down slightly.

It was a man, his face was mostly covered in a scarf but he looked familiar in a way.

If he's familiar looking, he could good or bad. It doesn't help me.

"You know them?" Suzie whispered.

"They look familiar but I don't know who they are, it's a man." I replied, my voice low as I handed her the binoculars and turned to keep watch on Samuel. I hated even having to look at his form, my hate and fear for him burning inside. I would much rather die, even if I make it out of this, memories won't go away with the environment but it is just as bad having to experience it for the rest of my born days, dying guaranteed no memories of this and spending eternity with Jesus.

Samuel apparently already had the crow bar as he was already taking the hind tire on the left side off, he was almost done but he still had to get the spare strapping on the back window and put it on.

"He's standing up," Suzie informed me. I turned around and she handed the binoculars to me.

The figure looked familiar, but not as familiar as I thought from a distance. His face turned and he saw us, at least he saw the truck and maybe not us.

He walked forward until he saw us looking through the window. He was close enough now that I could see recognition fill his eyes as they landed on us. He pulled his scarf away from his face and it was Joel!

"It's Joel!" I squealed excitedly acting like a true fan girl.

"Who?" Suzie asked, puzzled at my excited expression.

"Luke's brother, he said they were here. Maybe he'll help us." I replied before waving in his direction.

He stopped behind a tree and pulled out what was probably his phone, he was gone from our sight for a few minutes till he came back into view.

It became rather strange after that. We just stared at each other. All three with serious faces just staring at each other like deer in the headlights.

We heard the clatter of something in the back of the truck and Joel disappeared.

We turned our heads to look out the windshield. Disappointment and anger boiled through me till my face was red.

I can't except him to just snap his fingers and Samuel to be unconscious and help to be here. But honestly when is this going to end.

Samuel jumped in the drivers seat and took it out of park and we started going. I fought with everything in me not to turn my head around to see if I could see Joel.

*******

Joel

Jumping under a tarp in the back of a kidnappers' truck is a stupid idea.

I really couldn't believe that I found found both of them. But I was really puzzled as to why they were out here not with the Aaron guy that kidnapped the girls and my brother but with someone different.

I was still thanking the Lord for cell service so I could call the police. They told me to not get any closer but... what was I suppose to do. I took the time now texting Luke, Melissa and Derick but most definitely avoided Moriah's contact tab.

We moved on for several more minutes before the truck stopped. I heard the man get out and go to the passenger door and opened it, letting the girls out. I heard nothing for fifteen minutes. Melissa, Derick and Luke all basically texted me the same thing.

'Be there soon, be careful and don't get hurt or do anything stupid.'

I crawled out from under me hiding spot and slowly looked up.

Snow and trees were everywhere except for where a little brown house stood. It looked like it had seen more years than I had times three!

I arranged the tarp and all the junk back where I had found it and walked back up the tire tracks pulling in until I came to a clearing of trees which I stepped into.

The house wasn't as old as I thought it was but was still old enough to question its stability for living. I approached it from behind as trees seemed to hug the back end of the house it hid footprints pretty well. I opened the door the cellar sticking part way out of the ground. The smell of age, dust and mold hit me, it was quite dark so I waited a few minutes before, satisfied I used the flashlight on my phone to light up my path.

Here goes nothing.

*******

Let's be honest. This is all only stuff I would do. 

I really don't like this book. It doesn't feel realistic enough to have all of these possibilities and binoculars and gum wrappers showing up at the most convenient time. But when this book is done, the sequel will be much better. And plus, I have learned a lot and my writing skills have been improving so eyes on the future!