Chapter 5 - Loose Ends

Salem

The Dune's of Vacuo's desert rise high, like mountain ranges of sand that are blown by the warm air that bakes the ground. The wind howls, dead flora barely sticking out from the sandy landscape that the sun bakes furiously. Mirages ripple endlessly, stretching out as far as the eye can see. Lone Beowulves, Ursas and Creeps wander through the Desert, looking for some kind of purpose in this world where they have become somewhat an Endangered Species after they all vanished in a single moment worldwide.

A lone wandering walks with a stick in their hand across the sand dune, a tanned poncho and hood wrapped around their thin body. The poncho is torn in places, revealing the feminine pale skin and body underneath in places. She walks up the dune and looks down at the Grimm that look up at her. Some of them growl as they stare at her, and she stands beside a dead Tree. At its base, there is the skull of a buck on the ground, sand sitting inside of the cracked skull, an antler snapped off and a scar across the cheekbone.

He wanderer is Salem, her hair no longer morphed into the shape of a spider and just let loose, her red eyes narrow when she glares at the Grimm that stare at her like she is now prey. Suddenly the Tree next to her moves in a way that should be impossible, the wood creaks and crashes as it twists round. The braches form into long arms and three sharp claws form on each hand. It stands tall as a pair of powerful legs form as well with dead roots connecting it together. The bark weaves together onto the chest, creating an armoured torso similar to that of a Samurai as the plates of bark slide over one another. The being picks up the skull and fits it onto its shoulders, the roots connect to the skull and the sockets are filled with burning hot fiery eyes.

The Leshen known as the Lord of the Wood is guarding Salem, since the Grimm do not seem to be honouring her call anymore. But they fear the Leshen, as simply a faint snarl makes the Grimm bow down, lowering their heads to her as they remember their place. Salem clenches her hand into a fist when she stares at the Grimm that fearfully bow to her. "All bow before your Queen." She demands faintly, a Crow caws as it flies onto her shoulder and looks around.

The pair walk towards a small home that she has built to remain in hiding. The Lord of the Wood walks with her, the wooden features creak with every movement. She sighs as she approaches her home, wiping some of the sweat from her brow. Not all the Grimm are forgetting their loyalty to her, as there are some Grimm here as well. A Beowulf sits there and looks at her as she approaches and the Leshen crouches down in the corner, waiting again. Unlike other beings, it does not get bored; it just waits until it is required for duty.

Salem sits down onto a tree stump and she picks the grains of sand from her hair and he grits her teeth as she feels the burns on her skin. She has become far weaker than she ever was before, and also she is alone. All she has to keep her company at the moment is a wordless Leshen, whereas her other contacts only return with mission information. A Debriefing she is currently waiting on from Fear and her Assassins she has hired as well. She turns when she notices some baby Nevermores screeching in their nest, begging for food from their mother. She sighs and picks up some of the worms as she holds them above their beaks. "Don't be greedy, my precious children." She weakly says to them, her voice even sounds frail as well when she speaks to the Grimm.

The Lord of the Wood remains still where it is crouched down at the moment.

A shadow envelops her when something approaches. She merely turns her eye slightly and spots the Giant Rotten Bat that flies towards her. The eyes glow bright gold as the Knight of Fear approaches. She rolls her eyes with annoyance, she may have been expecting a report from him, but she still hates him because of his tone with her. The wings of the bat wrap round the torso and the bones and flesh shift and crack in places. The Bat transforms into his Knight Form and he rolls across the sand and lands on both feet before her. His body still looks exactly the same, rotten skin wrapped around his body like a poncho and his hood pulled over his head.