Chapter 48 - Ambushed

Ruby

Ruby lets out an audible gasp of fear when she sees the Knight of Death charging towards her through the billowing gusts of sand around them, and he is not even fazed by it in any way. The sand ricochets off the Isomacium armour plating across his body, and the long jet black cape made from smoke blows with the wind, as he slashes Ferrum Arctus directly at the group. The roar he creates echoes over the howling screams of the sandstorm, with one powerful blast of red lightning emerging from the blade as he made his attack.

Ruby is thrown back with Kragen, both of them slide across sand covered ground, and they notice that the Architect has pushed his heavy metal feet into the floor to stay still, his poncho flapping around in the storm. He draws his rifle and engages the transformation mechanism; the plates all fold and slide away, allowing the thick blade to extend outwards. The Architect spins it through his fingers as he stands before the Knight of Grimm that has just attacked. Death rises back up, staring the Architect down in the storm, his glowing red eyes staring straight into the glowing blue visor of the machine. "Get out of the way – I have no quarrel with any of you. I just want the girl." Death states, and the Architect scoffs.

"Yeah? Why? You captured her once before, aim to do it again? That what Umbra demands?" The Architect questions, stood stridently with the storm around them, and Death remains still as well.

Visibility is nearly at zero with Death right in front of them, and Ruby can hardly even see the Architect, let alone the Knight of Grimm. Death remains silent for a couple moments before he eventually replies to the Artificial Intelligence, clearly watching the others who are standing up around him. Not that he is intimidated by them in the slightest; he can easily take them and kill every single one of them. Except for Kragen and Ruby perhaps, but the others are seriously at risk. "You misunderstand, Architect – Vir Nominis Umbra does not want her alive, he wants the Silver Eyed Warriors to perish. And unfortunately you are standing in my way." Death states, then the Architect spins his sword through his fingers, holding it in both hands as he points the thick metal blade directly at his enemy.

"Wouldn't have it any other way." The Architect assures, stood defiantly in the sandstorm as Kragen stands back up with his Isomacium staff in his grasp, and Gray draws his swords. Ruby slams Crescent Rose against the ground, using the huge weapon as a crutch to stand back up; staring through the sand with her eye squinted to find the Knight of Death. The Spectre stares at them, and an audible sigh can be heard from him.

"Then you have accepted your own fate." Death calmly says, holding the sword downwards and close to his chest, as he slowly and sinisterly steps backwards into the thick wall of billowing wind and sand. Serena stammers, looking around with her handgun in her grasp. She really was not ready for any of this to go down, she only came to assist in finding a cure in Merlot's lab.

Not take part in a battle against one of the most powerful entities Remnant has ever known. Kragen listens to the wind carefully, and they all start to stand back to back, Vos ready with the blades that fold out from his cybernetic arms and the turret mounted on his shoulder examines the area. "Keep your eyes and ears open, he could be anywhere in this storm. He will strike at the opportune moment." Kragen advises as he stands there, staff held tightly in his grasp. Ruby's heart is pounding at a hundred beats a second, waiting for the black Knight to come leaping from the storm.

All she can remember when in combat with him is what happened the last time she failed, when she saw the arrow from that Glass Bow that he formed come flying towards her eye. Nearly killing her in the process, she can even see that moment flashing before her eyes again and again the longer she has to wait.