Chapter 40 - Counter-Attack

Thirty Years ago...

The peaceful tweets of birds chirp across the grassland, a small bird flutters across the fields towards a small house that sits amongst the field. The little robin approaches and lands on the birdhouse, eating some of the feed open for it. A young girl with long black hair looks up at the Robin with a gentle smile on her face. She fiddles with her white dress where she sits, cleaning some tools for the farm. She gasps when she hears the voice of somebody behind her, an older woman. "Hey, sweetheart." The mother speaks as she approaches her and crouches down beside her. "How are you?" She asks her with a similar smile that she has. The young girl seems shy as she touches her cheek with her hand and looks at the floor.

"Um...okay...I guess." She says quietly.

"Come on, I know when something is on your mind, honey." The mother tells her with a raised eyebrow as she smiles to her. The girl sighs and then she looks at her mother with glassy eyes.

"My pet Caterpillar turned into a Butterfly...it flew away." She sniffles. The mother smiles, seeing her daughter's adorable innocence to the cruel world that they all live in. She takes her daughter in her arms and she sits down, letting the daughter sit on her lap. She rests her head against her mother's collarbone as she wipes a tear from her eye, and the mother looks up at the sky as the sun sets.

"It's okay, honey...your Caterpillar did not leave you because it did not like you, it left because it wanted to begin its own journey." The mother explains and the little girl looks up at her mum. "Everything goes eventually, nothing lasts forever. So we must make the most of what little time we have in this world." She says to her and the girl keeps on looking at her mother. The mother wipes the tear from her cheek with her thumb with a smile. "Okay?" She asks her.

The little girl silently nods her head.

The mother looks so devoted to her child and then she pats her black haired head.

"Alright, come on. Dinner's on the table. Your father has been working very hard to get us some food today, we should get ready." She says to her with a smile.

"What about my brother?" She asks, bringing her brother up into the mix and the mother looks at her.

"Your brother is at his friend's house, remember?" She says to her, and the girl nods her head after remembering why he is not here. She stands up and walks inside of the house with her mother and she sees her father setting the table with a cloth. She then turns and seems excited when she sees something, almost like she nearly forgot to tell her mother. A little collection of necklaces that have little intricate parts woven onto the string that she made for her mother.

"Look at this, momma! I finally finished it!" She squeaks with happiness as she gives it to her mother. Her mother looks so proud with the smile she gives her daughter, and she cups the gift in her hands as she gazes at it.

"This is beautiful, my sweet girl." She gasps as she holds the necklace, looking at the many different parts of it that clink against each other. She then looks at her daughter again who looks so happy as she sits down.

"Aw thank you." The girl says with a bright smile.

"We've kept this style of necklace-making a family secret for generations. One day when you have children, you can pass the secret onto them as well." The mother says to her, but the young girl's eyes widen and she gasps with confusion.

"Um...I don't understand...how can I have children?" The girl asks, and the mother becomes very awkward with the blushing that appears on her face. The conversation she had feared ever since she had her daughter.