Chapter 27 - A Knight's Memory

Ruby

Her large silver eye stares directly at the Visionary Book, whispers travel towards her like the enticement of a fish by the lure of the rod. Oscar stands beside her, looking at her then she sighs, because she knows that she needs to see what is on the other side. She walks towards the book across the room from them, mysteriously held in the chamber. But Oscar gently holds onto her hand and pulls her back slightly. Ruby turns and looks at him with a bewildered expression, as if she wants an answer to why he is so reluctant to approach it. "Wait..." Oscar requests as he holds her hand, she looks at him then at the Visionary Book. It is another key to solving the mystery on how to defeat the Knight of Grimm once and for all. Ruby has always been the curious one, and it has always tended to get her in trouble in the past. Take Mountain Glenn for instance, she got captured because of that inquisitiveness. Ruby sighs, closing her eye and then she looks right at him.

"What is it?" She sighs, since they both know how important the information hidden inside of that book could be.

"I – I just think maybe I should use it...you know in case if something bad happens." He says, as selfless as ever, which makes Ruby smile. She gently caresses his cheek and kisses him, then she slowly walks towards it, him beside her.

"It'll be fine..." She assures, with shaken breath. She has never accessed one of these before, but now she can. She approaches it; all of them are filled with so many questions, why are the Vacuo Headmasters securing an Ancient Visionary Book? There must be an answer for this, but they do not have time to dwindle on such things. Ruby exhales, and she slowly raises her hand towards the book. The huge book of thousands of ancient pages swings open, multiple pages passing over as it lands on the page with a handprint. It practically replicates her own hand.

She'd be lying if she said that she was not scared, the thing truly does terrify her. The pages and the dark magic that must have been used to craft such a monstrous device is completely unpredictable. This kind of magic is practically alien to them all, they have no idea of what kind of effects that it could have on them in the future.

But it matters not.

Ruby breathes deep and exhales through pursed lips. She holds her hand above it and Oscar ever so gently holds her wrist to calm the shaking down, she smiles when she looks at him. Her large silver eye stares at the book, hearing the whispers from the mysterious object. "What could go wrong?" She asks, and Oscar takes his hand from hers, as she presses her hand upon it.

Suddenly there is an almighty flash of magical energy, so powerful that it actually creates a pulse that launches Oscar off his feet and sliding across the ground. He tumbles across the ground and he stares at Ruby with widened eyes. The same sort of shards of energy that he uses and sees with his semblance have just encased her, freezing her in this point of time from his eyes. He stands up and approaches it and attempts to touch her, but the barrier of frozen time is too thick. "Ruby!" He calls.

She cannot hear him...

Her eye is wide with shock as she is taken from her body, little does she even realise that both her eyes are actually in her body where it takes her. She stands there, staggering as she looks at her body, still wearing the same clothes and at the same age, but she can see through both eyes this time. The book has taken her aura from her body, allowing her to see the memories of the aura fragments that have been bound here. Shards of time float around her, and she looks up at the sky. "Oscar!" She calls out fearfully, her voice echoes endlessly through the mysterious realm that is the innards of the Visionary Book. He cannot hear her cries, but she hears something else. Two faint voices, and the sound of waves crashing against the wooden skin of a boat.