The Press

Verra was sure to be quiet as she crept into the kitchen that morning. Toki was still passed out on her couch. She started brewing a pot of coffee, knowing that he'd also wake up with a terrible hangover.

She finished pouring coffee into two mugs, adding a little milk and sugar to lessen the bitterness. Verra gently placed her hand on Toki's shoulder. His face seemed to scrunch up in reaction to the light that stretched across his face. When his dull blue eyes finally did open, he smiled at the sight of her above him.

"Hey," She whispered, "I brewed some coffee. You should drink it, it'll help."

He silently sat up and took the mug from her, sipping from it carefully. She sat down beside him and turned on the TV. She hadn't watched in a few days since she was so busy with the band. It was mostly just for background noise anyway.

"Sometimes I wonders if the guys even notice whens I leaves," he spoke quietly, still waking up a bit. He meant it to be a joke, but Verra didn't laugh. She just looked over at Toki and frowned. Before she could open her mouth to respond, the TV caught her attention. The Dethklok Minute had turned on, the host with his mutilated face announcing the latest news on Dethklok.

A picture a Verra and Nathan from the night before appeared on the screen. She could feel her heart skip a beat as she gagged on her coffee. Their faces were centimeters apart, and Toki was visibly uncomfortable. His eyes darted back and forth from the screen to Verra.

"He just grabs-ded you likes that?" he turned to face her only to find her attention stuck on the screen. Her lips were parted and her eyes wide open. There was a pit in her stomach.

"Looks like Nathan's warming up with Verra Husk, internet sensation, this winter. She's been seen frequently with the band these past few weeks, could this be permanent? Th-"

Verra switched the channel and dropped the remote. Toki put a hand on her back as she placed her face in her hands. She sobbed quietly, angry at herself for letting that happen. Toki pulled her into a tight embrace, allowing her to bury her face in his chest. He stroked her hair as her tears wet his shirt. He didn't mind.

---

"Skwisgaar, I'ms serious," Toki huffed as him and Pickles chatted in his bedroom. Verra had driven him home a little while after the Dethklok Minute incident.

"I thinks... I likes her," Toki whispered.

"Buts Toki, it's Nathans who wants to put his dingle into the side of her," Skwisgaar said as he plucked away at his guitar. Pickles was about to comment on Skwisgaar's odd and uncomfortable statement, but decided it wasn't worth it. He instead tried to reason with Toki.

"Look, Toki. You saw it yourself. They went out last night, she likes him."

"No, Pickle, you don't get it! She tolds me she doesn't likes him! I stayeds at her apartsment last night and she tolds me!"

Pickles and Skwisgaar both exchanged looks of disbelief. "Oh, nothings happends if that's what yous was wonderin's," Toki said sharply.

"She doesn't like Nathan?" Pickles asked again. Toki nodded in response. Pickles sighed, "Yeah, that's not good."