Other People's Shit

A quiet knock came from the other side of Toki's door. He had been laying in bed for a while but couldn't quite fall asleep knowing that Verra was with Nathan. Well, that is, until he opened his door.

Verra stood there, clutching a black satin pillow in her arms.

"I couldn't sleep with all of Nathan's snoring. I was wondering if you'd mind if I..."

"I don'ts mind," Toki allowed her into his room. She sat down on the edge of his bed.

"I don'ts have another beds for you," he said. She shrugged, "That's fine."

He could feel his stomach doing somersaults. No groupie could've made him feel that way. He sat down next to her. She wore the same clothes from earlier, which seemed uncomfortable to sleep in. Toki got up and rummaged through his drawers, pulling out an old grey T-shirt and some sweats.

"Wears these, you can'ts sleeps in that," he handed her the shirt and pants. She took them, albeit with hesitation, and went into the bathroom to put them on.

"The pants are a little loose," she stepped out, "But thank you."

The pants really were loose. Toki wasn't a huge guy, but they were just able to stay on at her hips. She laid down beside him, facing the ceiling.

"I'm really glad I met you guys," she said, her voice growing quieter the more tired she got. "Me too," he replied, placing a hand on her waist. She turned towards him, their faces an inch or two away from each other. She closed her eyes and leaned against his chest. He wrapped his arms around her and reached beside himself to shut the light.

Toki took longer to fall asleep, this time enjoying having Verra in his arms. Her breathing was slow and calming, and every so often she'd let out a soft sigh in her sleep. He'd stroke her hair away from her face and kiss her forehead before allowing himself to drift off as well.

---

The sunlight begged to spill into the bedroom from behind the blackout curtains. It couldn't wake up the two, though. They kept warm together, despite the cold, soon-to-be winter air surrounding them. Everything was quiet.

At least for a little while.

Toki's door was flung open, causing it to hit the wall and wake up the two. They had practically jumped out of their skin, Verra nearly punched Toki in her panic. Pickles stood in the doorway, eyebrows raised at Toki. He almost wanted to congratulate him. However, he needed to get Verra out of there.

"Nathan's been looking for you. Thinks ya' ran off or something. You gotta get down here, like, now."

Verra struggled out of bed, heaving the walking boot out from under the covers and onto the floor. She hoped Nathan wouldn't acknowledge that she wore Toki's clothing.

"You come down in a little," Pickles called back to Toki, leading Verra out and down the hall.

"So, you and him, huh?"

Verra chuckled, "I guess so."

"Look, I'm looking out for you when I say that might not be the best idea," Pickles said. Verra sighed, "Yeah, Toki already told me about the death th-"

"Not that," Pickles said. "Nathan really likes you. He can't take the hint, and he still thinks you guys are a thing. If he sees you with Toki...god."

"He'd seriously hurt me over that?" she asked, a bit shocked.

"No, he'd never hurt you. It's Toki I worry he'd hurt. We're not supposed to get involved with other people's shit, band rules, but... I mean, Toki's like the little brother. Nathan would be kinda pissed you picked Toki over him. I dunno..."

Verra couldn't really respond to that. Maybe she should be more direct this time. Would that stop Nathan?