Kiss

It had been a few weeks since Verra had broken things off with Nathan. He had been taking that time to treat her politely, hoping she would accept his next invitation out. She, however, had been spending more and more time with Toki.

"I can'ts writes my own riffs," Toki said as he picked up his guitar from beside his bed and plugged it into the amp. "I likes to play other songs sometimes, like on leads guitar."

She could tell he hadn't played in a while. At least not with that guitar. It took a while for him to tune it. His hair fell in front of his face as he did so. Verra just sat and watched. The sunset lit up the room and streamed across their faces.

Toki lowered the volume and began to strum out the notes to Rotten Apple. Verra perked up as she recognized the tune, she had loved Alice in Chains since she was 12. He nodded his head a bit in time to the song. Everything seemed so peaceful. Verra smiled at her friend as he played. Her face suddenly softened.

The sun lit up half of his face, his hair covering the rest. She brushed it behind his back and continued to observe. He had gotten used to that. It was a joke between them for a while, even though it wasn't as funny as they seemed to find it. She'd just randomly touch his hair when ever she could in reference to the first time they hung out. This time, though, she wasn't joking.

His face showed content, eyes closed and the corners of his mouth slightly upturned. She looked at him and suddenly she could feel her heartbeat grow faster. Toki wasn't just a friend to her and it was then that she realized it.

"Toki," she whispered. He looked up and stopped playing, placing his guitar down. Verra took a deep breath and placed a hand on his cheek. His lips parted as he stared into her eyes. She slowly leaned closer, eyelids shutting a bit more with every second. He placed his hands around her waist and pulled her closer. Their lips softly pressed together.

When they finally separated, Verra couldn't stop smiling. Toki was sort of stunned for a bit before he grew a smile as well.

"So," Verra awkwardly giggled. Toki let out a breathy laugh and grabbed her hand. "I really likes you, Verra," Toki said quietly. Before she could reply, Toki's phone buzzed. He picked it up to check it.

"Band meetings. Do you wants to waits here or..?" He asked.

"I guess I could go home. I'll see you tomorrow, right?"

"Yeah, I'll walks you out,"

---

Verra couldn't stop thinking about the kiss on the drive home. Rotten Apple was playing through her speakers. She stopped at a red light and tapped her fingers on the steering wheel to the beat of the song. The light turned green and she began to drive forward when her car lurched to the left. It skidded over and smashed into the rail guard. The windows seemed to explode into little bits at some point during those few seconds.

Verra gripped the wheel to the point where her hands turned numb and looked down at her bleeding arms.