s i x

"We will grow old as friends,
I've promised that before
So what's one more?
In our grey-haired circle,
Waiting for the end"

__________

Dodie♥️

Hey x

Hey, who is this?

Oh it's Belle sorry haha

Hi! How are you? Xx

I'm feeling a lot better than I thought I would
Probably because of you x

That's great! I'm glad
to hear it

Are you free over the next few days to
grab a coffee or something?
Would love to see you

Would love to see you too! Does
tomorrow work for you?

I think so! 11:30?

It's a date
Wait not that kinda date!!
Not a date date but that time works
Know what I mean? 😂

I do don't worry!
I'll text you the address later
See you then! x

__________

I turned my phone off and looked up to see Sophie looking at me smugly.

"What are you smiling about?" She teased me, winking. I hadn't even realised that I had massive grin on my face, so I started to blush, my cheeks turning a deep shade of pink. "Uhhh..umm." I started
"Well? Who were you texting?" She jumped up from the armchair, her straight black hair falling into her face, brushing it away as she hurried over to me and snatched my phone.

"Waitwaitwait!" The words came streaming out of my mouth, and she looked up, her brown, almond-shaped eyes inches away from mine, her fingers poised, ready to type the phone password I that I had only trusted with her, daring me to reply. "It's just a friend, calm down." I told her, laughing slightly at her defeated look.

"And here I was, thinking you would finally get a boyfriend," she teased me, pretending to look all sad. "Who was it, anyway?" Sophie hopped onto the sofa I was on, looking genuinely curious.

"Oh, just that girl I met at the club." I said, glancing over to the TV, grabbing the remote and switching the channel over to something a little more interesting that an old news reporter droning on about finance and taxes or something of the sort.

"The one who took you home? Jodie?..do.." she trailed off, clearly trying and failing to correctly remember her name.

"Dodie." I corrected her with a laugh.

"That was it! I liked her, she seemed really sweet. I'm glad someone like that came along and saved you from that dick of a guy who kissed you!" She said, disgusted, pulling me into a quick hug, thinking back to the day before. I nodded in agreement, and jumped up, grabbing the soft grey blanket from the other side of the room and chucking at her.

The rest of the day was filled with movies, junk food and pyjamas, the taste of sweet buttery popcorn lingering on our lips, and the summer break meant that, although it was a Monday, no classes had to be done, no essays had to be written, and we could finally relax.

It brought me back to the days when we had sleepovers as kids, huddled under one duvet, just a torch for light, whispering quietly and suppressing giggles so the parents wouldn't know we were up, or when we would 'sneak' out when the sun had set to sit in the treehouse in Sophie's garden, refusing to come in until our parents would practically carry us - Sophie was basically the sister I never had.

I woke up the next day, stretched, and dragged myself into the kitchen to make some breakfast, rubbing my eyes.

"You're up early?" Sophie laughed, glancing at the clock. It was 9 o clock. But then, given the chance, I would sleep in until midday at least, so the comment was completely justified. I mumbled something in agreement, pouring myself some cereal, and splashing some milk on the counter as I zoned out, my mind wandering. I groaned and reached over to get a cloth, hearing Sophie's sniggering teasing me in the background. I told her to shut up, mock disappointment in my eyes as I slowly started to actually wake up.

After breakfast, I returned to my room, wondering what the hell to wear. I glanced outside, and, seeing the bright blue sky, not a cloud in sight, and after quite some searching, I decided to go with a pair of high waisted, loose blue denim shorts, and a loose white tee shirt, tucked in and secured with a belt. I put on some natural make up - only concealer, tinted lip balm and a small amount of mascara, and tied my bright red waves up into a loose ponytail, secured with a black hairtie.

I hurried down the stairs, and, after putting on a pair of short black ankle boots, I shouted goodbye up the stairs to Sophie, and shut the door, locking it behind me.

The walk to the coffee shop was not long, but I still plugged in my headphones, shuffling Panic! At The Disco as I started walking, feet moving to the beat of whichever song I was listening to the time. As I arrived at the shop, I pulled out the headphones and pushed them into my pockets, briefly checking the time to confirm that I wasn't late, and I took a deep breath, and slowly opened the door.

She wasn't there yet, so I looked about, and spotted a table for two in the far corner. I returned to my thoughts and Panic! At The Disco, deep in daydreams and wonders. I didn't know how much time had past, it could have been seconds, minutes, maybe even half an hour when I felt a soft tap on my shoulder, and turned around to see her happy smile once more.