s e v e n

"Could you love this?
Could this one be right?
Well if I'm being honest,
I'm hoping it might"

   "Hi!" I tugged my headphones out of my ears and hastily stuffed them into my back pocket as dodie sat down in the seat opposite.

She was wearing a cute white dress with buttons down the middle, small black ankle boots and had her hair tied half up half down.

After adjusting her chair, she looked up and flashed me a smile.

"I love your outfit!" She told me, looking at my shorts, top and then back up to my grinning face.

"I mean... You look ok... I guess" I responded sarcastically, pretending to look disinterested but it was only after a second one of the giggles I had been suppressing escaped. "I'm just joking, you look great! I already have a feeling that you're one of those people who looks good in everything?" I saw her start to protest but I got there first, "no, I'm sure!" I looked at her, then laughed.

"I could say the same about you." She said with a wink and a cheeky smile, then pushed her chair out and stood up. "What do you want to drink?" She asked, looking up at the large blackboard above the counter in front of us. Reading through all the options, I decided on an iced coffee, as, although I would normally go for a hot drink, it was 25 degrees outside.

   Dodie walked over to the employee at the till, and I didn't mean to stare, but I kept finding eyes wandering over to her without even trying. About a minute later she was walking over the table, her dark brown brows furrowed, a determined look on her face as she focused intently on not spilling the drinks, causing me to laugh under my breath at how much she cared.

"One iced coffee!" Her voice was as sweet as the drink in her hand, and when she handed me the coffee, the icy coolness instantly running through my hand and removing the heat. I glanced over to the board once more, checking the price, and, reaching into my pocket, grabbing a handful of change, sorting through it for the right amount.

"No it's fine! My treat, honestly!" She protested.

"You have done so much for me! It's the least I can do!" I replied, and, seeing the determined look in my eyes, she realised that there was nothing she could do, and accepted the coins, mock-defeated look on her face.

"Tea? Dodie you are aware it's hot outside?" I saw her beverage of choice on the tray, empty sugar packets on the saucer, and laughed.

"It's never too hot for tea!" She responded defiantly, taking a huge sip of it, but quickly realising her mistake.

I saw the emotion on her face change from a stubborn grin to a look of confusion, and as I shot her a questioning look,

"very hot!" She gasped breathlessly.

"You burnt your tongue?" I asked, amused.

"Yep," she replied, laughing at her mistake. I pushed my cold iced coffee over to her, watching her hesitantly pick it up, but then relief on her face as she drunk some.

"Thanks! I'm sorry for having some of your drink! I'll grab you another if you want?" She asked, glancing down to the half full cup, then looking at me like she was actually concerned that she had drunk some of my coffee.

"It's fine! Honestly." I laughed, and she joined in, giggling like little girls at the silliest things. After a few minutes of more chatter and laughter, she pulled out her phone, and looked up.

"You know that song? The one I sung you? I was going to post the video today... Would you like to see it?" She asked, and her shyness surprised me, although I would never have taken her to be cocky at all so I guess it shouldn't have. I nodded enthusiastically and she got the video up in the screen as I plugged in my earbuds, one each, and she played it again.

Just like the first time I heard her sing, I was enthralled. The raw emotion was pouring out of her voice, and I wouldn't have been able to look away if I tried. At the end of the song, she looked up, and I was still in a trance, hypnotised by the beauty of her voice.

"What did you think?" She asked softly, she shyness still evident in her voice.

"I-it was wonderful!" I told her, snapping out of my daze. "Everyone is gonna love it!" I assured her definitely.

"I may have checked out your channel last night," I dragging out the 'a'. I was far too curious not too, especially as I was so entranced by her voice, and after only hearing 2 minutes of her voice, I longed to hear more.

"You did?" She looked up, surprised, cheeks painted with a light pink blush.

"You are so talented! I'm honestly shocked you don't have millions of subscribers! Your voice is beautiful, and so unique."

"Oh... Thank you," she looked down, light pink blush now a deep shade of red, and I couldn't help but to laugh.
"What are you laughing at?" She asked, confused.

"Oh.. umm... You've gone pretty red," I told her, and she started laughing too. "I mean it though!" I told her, and the blush was met with a smile. Not a toothy grin, or a forced smile which wasn't matched at the eyes, but a genuine smile that seemed grateful, but humble.

"Well, you probably know more about me than I do about you, so what about you? Do you sing?" She asked, the normal, more confident Dodie re-emerging.

"I used to have lessons, and sing in a choir at school, but it's nothing special, not even comparable to you!" It was my turn to blush a little.

"I've sung for you, so why don't you sing for me at some point?" I met her eyes and saw her wink, and, although I was obviously happy that she would want to see me again, I was slightly shocked that someone who sounded like an angel would want to hear me sing.

"Of course, if you don't want to or don't feel comfor-" she started, her brain starting to work overtime again, always making sure everyone was ok.

I cut her worrying off, and with as much certainty as I could muster, and a wink to match hers, I responded.

"I mean... it's only fair!"

a/n - This was a pretty long one but Merry Christmas! I hope everyone who celebrates Christmas has had a great time and everyone who doesn't - I hope you have a great day anyway! :) Also look at this amazing cover butyouarenotmine made! I'll probably use it as the cover of the book at some point too! If you want a beautiful new cover, just message her!