t w e n t y o n e

Hello everyone, sorry it's been so long! Hope you all are doing ok! I just thought I'd say it might be a good idea to read the past few chapters to remind you of what's going on, especially chapter 20, as I changed quite a bit of it! ;)

"You'll definitely get old
Your bathroom had mould
Years years bears

You might meet a lover
Or something other
You need to call your mother
Years years bears"

(Tell me in the comments what you think "years years bears" means and is about! It's so interesting seeing everyone's different interpretations since Dodie and Tom won't tell us the actual meaning)

The next time I woke up, golden beams of light were streaming through the thin gap between my curtains. As I saw Dodie still lying there peacefully, hopefully having peaceful dreams, I shut my eyes again and lay there, consumed by my thoughts but just enjoying the feeling of lying with her, until I felt her shift next to me.

"Dodie?" I whispered as I forced my eyes to open again, blinking away the blurriness as they shifted into focus.

"Morning." She smiled, and she lent over and kissed my nose gently before stretching and sitting up, rubbing her face and smoothing her hair down. We got out of the bed and changed out of our pajamas, but before we could leave to go downstairs, she pulled me over to the bed, sitting down and gesturing for her to take a seat next to me.

"Hey, are you alright, after, you know?" She asked, concerned.

I nodded, taking a moment to realise what she said.
"Oh... last night?"

She hummed in agreement. "You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to? Its ok." She took my hand in hers and gently stroked the pad of my thumb over the ridges of her knuckle. Such a simple gesture calmed me immensely.

"It's ok... I... since that night, the night I met you," I clarified, "I've had these nightmares."

"About... when I met you?" She said cautiously, clearly trying not to say anything triggering.

"Yeah. That guy. He just won't leave me alone in my dreams! It feels so real. Like I'm back there, at the club. But this time you aren't there to save me." I looked down at my hand in hers, defeated, feeling the tears threatening to spill.

"Its ok, I'm here to save you now." She  whispered, reaching around me and pulling me into a side hug as I wrapped my arms around her.

We stayed like that for a while. I was holding her so tightly, just terrified that she would leave me as her hand rubbed soothing circles on my back. When the tears stopped and my heart rate returned to normal, I let go of her.

"Breakfast?" I said gently, my voice croaky from the crying.

"Sure." She responded, grabbing my hand once again.

~~~~~~

"As we're having our first proper date later," I started with a large grin once we had changed out of our pajamas, feeling so much better than I was before," how would you feel about going on a little informal breakfast date?"

I studied her expression, impatiently trying to gauge her feelings about it as she visibly contemplated it, making me pick at my nails in nervousness.

"Hmm I'm not sure..." My face visibly dropped at her nonchalant expression, but hers cracked a smile as she noticed my anxious demeanour. She raised an eyebrow, and I realised she was kidding. "Bels, of course I'd love to!"

"Great, I was starting to think you were serious there." I said hastily as I grabbed her hand and pulled her towards the door, causing her to squeal as she nearly slipped over.

We walked hand in hand down my street, along the rows of flats lining the road until we reached a small parade of shops. A brightly coloured exterior, an obnoxiously large sign, massive portions of perfectly fried burgers, chips, biscuits and gravy (the american sorts of the two at least; this never ceased to suprise new guests as to why someone would do such a monstrosity as to serve biscuits with gravy?) June's was everything you would want in an American diner.

It was a safe haven for me. If Soph was out and I was lonely, I would go to June's. If I wanted somewhere that would serve me the best coffee at 10:00 at night whilst I was studying, I would go to June's. Apparently if I wanted to take the girl I liked out to breakfast, apparently June's was the place for that too.

The girl I liked. An interesting phrase. I rolled it around in my head like a child would a sweet in their mouth. Don't get me wrong, I've had my fair share of crushes on guys, and girls looking back on it (yeah, those mild obsessions clearly weren't obsessions after all.) but the idea of someone actually liking me back was alien, a foreign concept to me. Dating was clearly not where my experience lay, my awkward teenage years clearly did nothing for my love life.

So, I held onto her hand just a little tighter, and suppressed a smile as we entered the bright blue building.

"Hello there Belle, how can I help you?" June, the lady who runs the place, asked as she hurried over to us.

"Hi June! A table for two, please." I asked with a smile.

"Just this way!"

We followed her over to a cosy little table by the window, my hand still remaining in Dodie's. As we sat down, we were handed some menus.

"I'm assuming your having the usual, Belle?"

"Yep!" I responded with a grin, my mouth already watering at the thought of the delicious food yet to come.

"What about your friend over here?" June asked, turning her gaze to Dodie, who's head was buried deep into the menu.

"Ummmm..." She pondered, I watched her eyes zigzagging back and forth as she tried to choose.

"I'll have the avocado toast" She finally decided.

"A true millennial." I joked, winking at her.

"But it's so good! And I bloody love poached eggs."

"You can't argue with that, I guess?" I agreed.

The food arrived, and as always, it looked mouth-wateringly good!

"When's your next band gig?" Dodie asked through a mouthful of avocado.

"I dunno, maybe next month?"

"Well, obviously you'd have to check with Frankie, Connor and Noah and you might not have songs read-"

"Spit it out, Dodes!" I cut her off, exasperated.

"Would you guys be able to open for me next week? Orla was meant to be opening for me but she's completely lost her voice!" She said quickly.

"I'd love to!" I nearly squealed with excitement. Not only would I get to play a show with Dodie, but it would also be really great for the band's publicity. "I'll ask the others now!"

"Thank god! I don't know what I'd do if you said no"

A/n - keep an eye out for the announcement next chapter!