s i x t e e n

"Lean for me, and I'll fall back
You'll fit so nicely, you'll keep me intact

Paint me in trust
I'll be your best friend
Call me the one
This night just can't end"

We jumped up from our seats and hurried over to the instruments. Frankie picked up her dark blue electric guitar, and plugged it into an amp, plucking each string gently to check the tuning. Noah grabbed his bass guitar and Connor sat at the drum kit. With a quick nod between us, the music started.

Frankie started with the iconic guitar riff, then Connor joined in with the drums and Noah the bass, and then it was my turn.

Cross my heart and hope to die
Burn my lungs and curse my eyes
I've lost control and I don't want it back
I'm going numb, I've been hijacked
It's a fucking drag

When I started singing, it was almost like I was a different person. Any shyness and awkwardness that was there had left me.

I taste you on my lips and I can't get rid of you

So I say damn your kiss and the awful things you do
You're worse than nicotine

But that's because when I sing, I feel like I'm no longer me at all. I can pretend I'm a famous singer in front of a crowd of thousands all belting the song along with me!

It's better to burn than to fade away
It's better to leave than to be replaced
I'm losing to you, baby, I'm no match
I'm going numb, I've been hijacked
It's a fucking drag

I taste you on my lips and I can't get rid of you

So I say damn your kiss and the awful things you do
You're worse than nicotine

At this point, I wouldn't have known if I was just singing in front of millions of people or just one, it didn't even matter to me. I hadn't realised how much I'd missed singing, and singing with friends just makes it even better.

Just one more hit and then we're through
'Cause you could never love me back
Cut every tie I have to you
'Cause your love's a fucking drag
But I need it so bad
Your love's a fucking drag
But I need it so bad

You're worse than nicotine

As the song finished, we all started laughing, and our audience (well Sophie) burst into enthusiastic applause.

"That was amazing!" Frankie said, grinning. I nodded in agreement, slightly out of breath, but smiling ear to ear.

"I think we can all agree that you are officially the next member of Now and Never?" Conner chipped in enthusiastically.

"Of course!" Noah agreed. "You wanna come over again tomorrow? We can teach you some more songs and prepare for a gig in a week or two!"

"A gig? Already?" I was excited, but now, being normal old Belle again, the nerves were surfacing again.

"Trust me, if you sing like that, you'll be absolutely fine girl!" Frankie reassured me. After putting down instruments and sorting out practise dates, Sophie and I had to leave before it became dark.