e i g h t e e n

"She wants to dance around the room,
Kiss you until your lips turn blue,
But pretty lady
You have made her wonder... Is she pretty? "

We ran through the empty, wet London streets hand in hand, the wide grins on our faces matching. Pouring rain hammered the ground but it could have just as easily been thick snowflakes or there could have been lightning bolts striking the buildings around us and we wouldn't have noticed. Every moment spent with her was sunny and golden.

The train journey was spent in comfortable silence, fingers intertwined, the occasional stolen glance at the other, returned with a grin. We were giddy as toddlers in toyshops and at this point in time, nothing else mattered to us.

When we finally arrived home, we breathed an audible sigh of relief as we had escaped the rain and were finally back in the warm and dry. We took off our coats and I put them over the radiator to dry, and just as Dodie turned walk off, I grabbed her hands and rose up on my tiptoes to give her a quick kiss before we walked further into the house.

"So you guys told eachother you liked eachother then?" Sophie asked eagerly, grinning like a fangirl.

"Uh.. yeah.. we did!" I said, embarrassed but smiling widely nevertheless. Our hands met by our sides and our fingers intertwined as Sophie stood there, grinning.

"You guys are so cute together oh my god." Sophie practically bounced through the hallway like Tigger does as we followed behind into the kitchen. We made ourselves some tea, sat down, and told Sophie all about our eventful day.

"I have an idea - let's make some cupcakes!" I stood up as I gulped down the last of my tea and set it down on the table in front of me.

"Sure!" Replied Dodie enthusiastically, standing up to join me.

"I... I said I would call... Dan?" Sophie with uncertainty as she walked away.
"Illbeinmyroom!!!" A scramble of words was shouted at us as she ran up the stairs and we both looked at eachother, laughing at her.

We gathered the ingredients, putting them on the countertop, and turned on some music. I started to dance but had to stop just to watch Dodie. She was in her own little world, moving so easily to the beat, and I was enthralled. How could someone be so beautiful? As she danced facing the other way, I crept up behind her, snaking my arms around her waist and rose up on my tiptoes so my mouth was by her ear.

"How are you so fucking gorgeous?" I asked, giggling as she spun me around so we were hugging.

"How are you so fucking gorgeous?" She asked me, and I shook my head, laughing a little as I left her arms and headed over to the bowl.

"Two hundred grams of sugar?" I said as she passed me a bag of it, and I poured the sugar into the bowl. We whipped the butter with the sugar until it was light and fluffy, somehow only managing to eat a few teaspoons each!

"Now we need to fold the flour and eggs in!" She said enthusiastically, emptying all the flour in at once.

"Dodie!" I spluttered as we coughed through the cloud of flour that had just formed. We batted at the cloud until it had cleared, brushing the fine, white  dust off of us.

I grabbed the spoon and started stirring enthusiastically let's just say, well, until I was interrupted by a hand swooping in and stealing the spoon from me.

"Stop stop stop! You're gonna knock all the air out of it!" Dodie laughed, holding the wooden spoon above her head knowing full well there was no way I could reach it, no matter how hard I tried. "Let me show you!"

She brought the spoon down from above her head and handed it to me, walking around behind me and placing her hand over mine. Her chest was pressed against my back and she was so close to me I could practically feel her heartbeat, just as I felt mine begin to race. Her hand guided mine, showing me the correct way to do it without ruining all the whisking we had done earlier on.

"There you go! You've got it" she smiled as she stepped away from me and came to stand by my side once more. I'm not going to lie, I did feel a little sad that she wasn't so close to me, missing the feeling of her body next to mine, but only for a moment as her smile was infectious!

We chose some cupcake cases - some pretty pastel blue ones with white polka dots spotted around and sorted them out, distributing the cake mix between them soon after, then putting them in the oven.

"Dodes?" I asked as she stood by the sink, washing up one of the bowls. She turned around and I booped her on the nose with the wooden spoon so she had a splodge of cake mix on it.

"Belle!!" She replied, trying to look upset before succumbing to the giggles.

"Let me get it for you!" I laughed with a wink as I kissed her nose, the sweet taste of cake mix filling my mouth. My eyes travelled to her lips and hardly a second after, I felt her soft lips on mine. Just as quickly as our moment had begun, it was interrupted by the shrill beeping of the timer telling us our cakes were ready.

"I'll get them!" I grabbed a floral patterned teatowel but reached forward a little too quickly, catching the side of my hand on the tray.

"Shit!"

"What happened?" Dodie rushed over to me, the worry evident in her voice.

"Oh it's nothing... I just burnt my hand, that's all!" I tried to play it off as I moved the tray up to the top of the oven as quickly as I could, trying to ignore the searing pain coming from my hand.

Gently but hastily, Dodie grabbed my hand, and gently prodded the painful area. Despite trying not to show it, I still winced in pain as her finger brushed over the burn.

"Let's get that under some running water so it doesn't scar!" Dodie had gone into full doctor mode as she guided me over to the sink, checking the cold tap with her hand before gently moving mine underneath it.

Although I could have never expected that the day I confessed my feelings to Dodie would go like this, (though I had often imagined she would tell me that she didn't feel the same way, and then we wouldn't end up speaking and our friendship would be ruined and... you get the idea) I was certainly not unhappy about what had happened!

A/n - "dawn where have you been you haven't updated for like two weeks??"
Ok, so, I have been so so busy over the past few weeks, I am incredibly sorry for the lack of updates but I just didn't have time! On top of this, I was having minor writers block (hence the crappy chapter - sorry about that!) and ya know those two things don't exactly go well together!
Again, sosososo sorry guys! The next update should be out by the weekend :)
~dawn