n i n e

"Take a look at the clock only so long to go
Scrubbing smooth young skin saying I don't know
Grab a bag, grab a bottle but leave the "what if?"
You'll see it in the morning after your kicks"

The next few days flew by, empty time rushing past so fast making me doubt it ever really happened at all, and before I knew it, the day of the party had already arrived. I pulled my phone out of my back pocket and switched it on to check Dodie's text so I could find the time and location of my next adventure, or misadventure if it went anything like the last one, and clicked on the message, and

Shit. It's in an hour.

I glanced down at my phone again in disbelief. 7:30? I was sure it was 8:30?

Ok then. Half an hour to get ready, I thought to myself as I got up and hurried over to my closet. I ran my fingers through the rainbow of colourful garments, an array of soft, silky and velvety textures all brushing over my fingertips. What to wear? What to wear? The question ran through my head, the three words repeating like a chant, and the best idea I could come to was texting Dodie to find out what the 'dress code' of the party was as that would probably be a good place to start.

__________

Dodie♥️

Hey!
Just wondering what kinda thing to wear to the party?

I think anything like what you wore to the club should be fine!
I'm wearing this

I think anything like what you wore to the club should be fine!I'm wearing this

Ok cool! See you soon :)

__________

I switched off my phone, watching the screen go from lit to black in a millisecond, then chucked it over in the direction of my bed. Thankfully, although I don't have the best aim, it flew through the air, the mirror-like black of the screen catching the light of the sun, low in the sky, and fortunately it landed on target with a soft thud, the duvet cushioning it's graceful landing.

After five minutes of searching and debating, I settled on something similar to what I wore last time:

A denim skirt, the black interrupted by a glistening silver zip right down the middle, the hem frayed intentionally in some places, unintentionally in others, a slightly cropped, loose, cream t shirt, and a fake leather jacket, as I didn't want to repeat the same mistakes as last time, the summer nights are still quite chilly, as I found out. I paired them with a pair of black heeled boots, the 2 inch heels making me 5 foot 4 like I wish I was without them.

After the outfit had been selected, I quickly applied some makeup, this time slightly less subtle, with a toned down smokey eye rather than natural makeup, bringing out my bright blue-green eyes, the makeup causing them to contrast even more with my skin, sprinkled with freckles, pale enough that there were never any foundation shades that would match it, not that I would wear any, as, as much as I disliked my freckles, covering made me look like a ghost.